What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Its time to start paying more attention

Eagle Eye

Related Story...http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100126/100126_pedestrian/20100126/?hub=CP24Home

With the recent rash of pedestrian fatailities in the last 2 weeks here the GTA I am urging everyone to take extra care while driving and walking within the city. Please get off your cellphones, ipods any form of distraction and stop, look and listen it only takes a moment.

A total of 14 people have been killed in 15 days since the beginning of January and all accidents within the GTA were as a result of human error. All were entirely preventable we must take more care in how we drive and conduct ourselves when strolling through the city streets.

We all must do our part to stop such a senseless loss of life.

Furthermore as a Feb. 1, 2010 Toronto drivers will officially have to go handsfree or face a $500 fine for driving while on a cellphone. So get a bluetooth folks it will help save lives and your pocketbook.

My personal recommendation:

Plantronics Voyager Pro Bluetooth Headset | Superior Performance

Thanks,

Eagle Eye :canadianwave:

chrisk

Folding Captain
The Star reported a few days back that while traffic fatalities have gone down over the past few years, the number of pedestrians getting killed and injured have gone up.

I own a car, but do lots of walking here in Durham (just east of Toronto). I never head out into an intersection (even if I have the signal) without making sure all cars have stopped, or I see the car slowing down and I can see the driver's eyes looking at me. I have seen (and been a part of the odd time I wasn't careful) several instances where people head into an intersection and a driver plows through the intersection; especially if the driver is making a right at the intersection. Even if you have the right of way, you still need to check as a pedestrian.

Last spring I was halfway through an intersection, and a car raced through the light and as I dodged, I felt the wind from the vehicle. The car never even slowed down, but I as he drove away I could see him holding something to his ear.

I have also seen many kids cross roads waering MP3 players or texting, and expecting cars to stop, even if its not a crosswalk or light. I confronted a kid at work once who did this, and her reply was that she would sue if I had hit her. Of course, I told her I would win that case, and if I lost, her parents could use the court winnings to buy a nice headstone for her grave.

encorp

There is also a lot more pedestrians on the streets the last few years as more and more people in the downtown core opt out of buying vehicles.

Lamb

It's not only drivers who need to pay attention; pedestrains can also be idiots, no need of cellphones or Ipods!

I think it was in last December when I went with my brother to Montreal and some idiot girl try to cross the street while we are on our green light (and we were already coming @ ~50km/h with some other cars at our sides and behind us) she came pretty much out of nowhere trying to reach the bus she was about to miss and almost got hit by my brother and 2 other cars, she would be dead if it wasn't for my brother paying attention and braking at the good moment...would it be that I wasn't in a hurry I would have jumped off the car and beat her ass up in the middle of the streets. Drivers need to be respectful to pedestrians but it also works the other way around. (don't cross the fu****g street while your sign is lightned red unless there is NO car coming, even then double check, even if your missing the bus, learn to be on time)

I'm a pedestrian myself most of the time when I go to Cegep and I've never even got close to getting hit by a car just because I look where I put my foots and I'm very aware of what is around me even if I'm reading the news and listening to my Ipod (I do both very often while on my way to school).

Awareness is something rare in today's society IMO.

gingerbee

i grew up in big city's and the facts are you have to look out for moving cars moving people and moving A-holes who are behind both of them everything is moving look out. cause when they collide it's not pretty.:biggrin:

encorp

I grew up in a big city too, and while pedestrians definitely need to watch out - it's almost always a drivers fault - why? Because they dont really care if they hit someone or not, at least in the sense that they wont be personally harmed and as long as they dont go to jail for the deed it dosnt really matter. You know how many times I climb up and jump on the hood of a car downtown after some jackass runs through a crowd of people at a crossing?

gingerbee

your right people on the street fear for damage to there body's where the guy in the car has only to fear bills to pay if accidents happen. perception is everything. very good point encorp

Lamb

Why should I care more for people crossing the street at any moment when I drive? Because obviously they don't care enough for their own security sometimes. They should learn to cross street at these places...I forgot...oh ya intersections! You know the place where they actually have a priority on Stop signs and such?

But sure like you said, Encorp, jackasses driving in the middle of a crowd aren't any better.

But so is any drunk driver or crackberrie addict not paying attention to his environnement.

encorp

I should be able to cross where ever the hell I want and you should be paying attention. Just because the road is straight dosnt mean you shouldnt be paying attention and prepared to stop. If as a pedestrian i run out into traffic without paying attention, and I get hit, sure it's my fault. But that dosnt mean you still shouldnt have been able to stop. The point is that drivers do not care, they believe they own the road because they've been raised that way; the fact of the matter is more and more people are moving away from driving. In fact give it 50 or so years and drivers will be looked at like smokers are now.

EDIT: For those who don't know, there is a LAW in Toronto specifically. If you're standing -anywhere- on a road, at the side, and you put your thumb out. Traffic, all traffic is required to stop. Do you know how many pedestrians still use this law? And how many drivers don't pay attention to it?

Last edited:

Latest posts