What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

!! Just received my new build, cannot connect to the wireless network!!

Cyphus

Some background.. well.. I just received my new desktop (built by NCIX.ca) a couple days ago, and cannot figure out how to connect it to the wireless network connection in this house! @_X I am tired of googling & not being able to find a solution......... I'm pretty sure I am entering the correct MAC address..

What I did: I just opened command prompt on my new desktop to get the MAC address. I then noticed that for each 'section', for the Media State, it says 'Media disconnected'. I then logged on to the router, and tried to add this MAC address to no avail... I think it has somethin to do w/ the fact that it's disconnected? somehow?

The computer MUST be detecting the wireless network at least!! On the desktop, on the taskbar(?) (bottom righthand corner), it can detect the home network!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Does it try to connect to the network at all? What does it say when it tries to connect? Have you tried turning off mac filtering on your router to see if that makes a difference? If you turn off mac filtering and are then able to connect to the router, the router will tell you what it sees as the mac addy of that wireless card.

PerryC

You said the computer can see the network through the network and sharing center, try connecting there rather than going through the command prompt. I have never had an issue connecting that way, you'll need to know the network SSID and passkey (if you have a passkey set up).

KaptCrunch

WARNING
where in BC is this PC so i can get free wifi with the info you posted.

best not post the mac address of any device, warning the spam bots, hackers and leaches will hit it.

sort of giving your phone number out

sounds if your ISP is not supporting wifi connnection or wifi not configured right for internet

odis172

Soo.... cough.. does your desktop have a wireless adaptor? If so and the driver is installed (check device manager) then you should see a button in the bottom right of your screen to check for wireless networks, and should see your wireless network listed. Do you see it?

JD

Staff member
WARNING
where in BC is this PC so i can get free wifi with the info you posted.

best not post the mac address of any device, warning the spam bots, hackers and leaches will hit it.

sort of giving your phone number out

sounds if your ISP is not supporting wifi connnection or wifi not configured right for internet
That's a bit extreme. MAC addresses are literally the easiest thing to spoof these days. Obviously I don't recommend posting any personal information on the Internet, but it's not going to do any serious damage. People post much more valuable information on Facebook than a MAC address.

Shadowmeph

Soo.... cough.. does your desktop have a wireless adaptor? If so and the driver is installed (check device manager) then you should see a button in the bottom right of your screen to check for wireless networks, and should see your wireless network listed. Do you see it?

that is what I am wondering and was going to suggest. make sure that if you do have a wireless adapter that it is turned on. also if device manager can see it. then I would go to the router screen and see if the router sees the PC's wireless adapter

a bit off topic

on my laptop very time I start it up I have to manually ( using the actual switch) turn it on . it took me hours to figure out that was all I needed to do , mind you my laptop is using the Windows 8 beta and it has an actual switch to turn on and off wireless.

Painbringer71

Was there software drivers enclosed? If so reinstall the driver for the network card.v my sabretooth MB network would not work either until the driver software was installed

hen555

Make sure your router is broadcasting its SSID , hopefully you know how to setup your router and what your wpa/wep (or watever encryption) key is. It wont connect to your network automatically unless there is no-encryption and your computer is set to default to connect to any unsecured networks. Then just go to control panel>view network status and tasks and join the connection from there.

Latest posts