What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kaveri Dual Graphics or dedicated GPU?

sa seba

About a year ago, I build a nice little HTPC, with the following components:
- A8-7800
- 8 GB 2133 MHz Ram
- Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI

The A8-7600 has quite a capable iGPU for it's 65 Watt envelope, but I would like to build up on that, without increasing power consumption, and fitting in my Node 304 with plenty of space left.

I have been looking at 2 options:
- get a R7 240 and use it in Dual Graphics mode with the APU = CAD 85
- get a 750 ti = CAD 130

Does anyone have experience with Dual Graphics? I kind of like this idea to be honest, but it might just be unreliable and frustrating.
According to a bunch of reviews, the 750 ti will be the faster dedicated card of the two, but the APU and the 240 in Dual graphics mode will archive similar performance.

Cheers

frontier204

Unfortunately, I'm seeing too many reviews that show dual graphics not working at all, or even worse, reducing the performance compared to the IGP, for me to even spend $10 on it.
The only way I see dual graphics being useful is if you plan to play a set of games that all supported, and you don't plan to buy any more games that will be unplayable if they weren't supported by the dual graphics.

MARSTG

Does anyone have experience with Dual Graphics? I kind of like this idea to be honest, but it might just be unreliable and frustrating.
According to a bunch of reviews, the 750 ti will be the faster dedicated card of the two, but the APU and the 240 in Dual graphics mode will archive similar performance.
Cheers
The GTX 750 Ti is an extremely capable GPU despite the tiny footprint, and I don't know what reviews have you seen or how they tested, but no 3-5 year old game will play at 1080p with 4x FSAA and 16xAF with max eye candy detail on that dual graphics solution while the 750Ti has all the required muscle power to lift that. In fact GTX 750 Ti has the muscle power of a GTX 580!

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

NOOOO DON'T DO EET!!! Avoid hybrid crossfire! :(

Think of it this way... even an R7 250 has less shader cores than the average APU... so in reality you'd be adding in a GPU that would nerf the iGPU and so actual performance gain would be maybe 30%... where as a GTX 750 Ti has guaranteed performance improvements.

Definitely the GTX 750 Ti. Hybrid crossfire was a good idea on paper... but in practice it is not.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I have yet to see it work properly in most titles. When it works, it works well but don't expect it to be infallible.

Arinoth

Staff member
I have yet to see it work properly in most titles. When it works, it works well but don't expect it to be infallible.
It was 'supposed' to work infabillbly two years ago when I was there when we tested it...

sa seba

Well, then the jury has spoken: 750 ti it is.
This will be a late Xmas present for myself.

Can't wait to replay Mass Effect on the big screen this time. :)

Thanks Guys!