What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kingston Digital to Create Certified USB Flash Drive for Windows To Go

Sam_Reynolds

News Editor
A developing trend of late in business has been the “bring your own device” movement, where employees use their own smartphones or tablets for work instead of relying on company issued equipment. Now Kingston wants to step this up a notch with the announcement that it is planning on offering the entire Windows 8 experience on a bootable USB flash drive.

Read more here: Kingston Digital to Create Certified USB Flash Drive for Windows To Go | Hardware Canucks

lowfat

Staff member
Fast** – data transfer rates for USB 3.0 to 80MB/sec. read and 60MB/sec. write; USB 2.0 = 30MB/sec. read and 30MB/sec. write

Rather disappointing speeds there. I would have thought that a drive w/ a Sandforce controller would do substantially better than that.

AkG

Its not the controller per say its the NAND they use. Most likely this is a SF gen 1 controller with four QUAD-die pkg onfi 1 NAND ICs. This is a less than optimal configuration.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I don't get why my Mushkin 32GB USB3 drive doesn't work though. It has similar specs but Windows 8 says its not supported.