What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kingston SSD Security Freeze Lock

moocow

Trying to wipe a Kingston Hyper SSD using Kingston SSD Manager. While I can update the firmware, the Secure Erase option is greyed out. It told me to power off and then on the SSD without shutting down the system and frankly I don't know how to do that. I tried putting the computer to sleep and waking it and rebooting the computer but no luck. Anyone know the correct process for this?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Trying to wipe a Kingston Hyper SSD using Kingston SSD Manager. While I can update the firmware, the Secure Erase option is greyed out. It told me to power off and then on the SSD without shutting down the system and frankly I don't know how to do that. I tried putting the computer to sleep and waking it and rebooting the computer but no luck. Anyone know the correct process for this?

Open the case and pull the wider of the two cables.

moocow

Pulling the power cable to the drive while the system on won't **** it up? Sounds kind of dangerous.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, assuming this is your non-boot drive you're trying to wipe, no.

If its a boot drive you're trying to secure erase...well...you cant without creating/booting from different media.

JD

Staff member
Pulling the power cable to the drive while the system on won't **** it up? Sounds kind of dangerous.
Nope, I've done it a few times too. Only way to secure erase a drive in most cases. I think plugging it in while the PC is running also works, basically as long as its not connected at boot.

moocow

I tried removing the power cable with the PC powered on. There's a boop device disconnect sound by Windows 7 however when I plug the power cable back in, I can't get the computer to detect the SSD again. Any suggestions?

JD

Staff member
In Device Manager you did a scan? Maybe try a scan in Disk Management too?

In your BIOS, maybe enable hotswap on that SATA port if you have the option.

moocow

I did do a scan with Device Manager but not with Disk Management. I don't recall a hotswap option for my old Z68 board. I'll go double check.

moocow

Yeah, no joy with Disk Manager either. Once I eject the device and disconnect power, it won't detect it again. There isn't a hotswap option in the BIOS and my disk controller driver is using the generic MS one and installing the latest Intel driver didn't change it. I guess I'll try it with Ubuntu live CD and see what happens. Interestingly, this post say unplug the SATA cable and not the power cable.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/604426/i-need-to-run-a-security-erase-tool-on-my-drive

Latest posts