What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kitchen tablet replacement

justmehereajax

For a couple of years, I used an old Kobo Arc Android Tablet for the kitchen to view the security cameras and search small things.

It is terribly slow now. It is just a dual core with less than a gig of ram I think.

It died the other day.

I heard to replace the battery is near impossible unless u send it back to kobo. I thought I could leave it plugged in all day and it would work but it needs a working battery from the looks of it

What is a good replacement with a user replaceable battery? Sammy right

JD

Staff member
Don't think any tablet has a replaceable battery these days.

Probably best/cheapest would be an Amazon Fire.

Shadowmeph

just keep in mind the Fire lacks the Play store, so access to app's is hampered.
I also heard tha tit spys and sends ads Iam not sure if that is true or not but I seem to remember reading that a few times .

Bond007

just keep in mind the Fire lacks the Play store, so access to app's is hampered.
Haven’t done it myself, but I believe all the fire tablets can have the play store installed...just not sure what the hoops are like you need to jump through.

Mr. Friendly

Haven’t done it myself, but I believe all the fire tablets can have the play store installed...just not sure what the hoops are like you need to jump through.
you are right. just Google installing Play store on Fire tablet and lots of how-to guides pop up.

justmehereajax

I remember the fire 7 tablet on sale for $40 when I was working BB. Should have gotten one for the hell of it. Now it is $60. Only $20 more but yeah ...

I will try one out tomorrow and see if I can get the play store app I want on it.

Should I bother with warranty? 3 or 4 year extended warranty if left on all the time with screen off most of the time plugged in. would be nice to get a replacement after two.

JD

Staff member
I would say just buy the "new" model when it dies. To me a $60 device doesn't need any warranty.

moocow

Just install a different rom for the Kindle Fire. It actually got a decent developer support on XDA Developers.

Latest posts

Twitter