What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kraken x72 or Corsair H150i

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Personally, I think the biggest concern for motherboard components should be straight up airflow as opposed to actual temps (within reason of course). Most motherboard components have pretty high operating ranges so my main worry is that there aren't any dead air spots in the case.
Well I don't know about Dan's case, but in mine the entire rear of the case is grilled, and the X570 mobo has its own fan for the NB that also helps cool the vrms near the IO panel via a heatpipe. Only the upper edge VRMs are alone, and even they use a TALL passive heatsink. I think as long as a single fan H80 can get the airflow moving past it all and out (with the help of a case fan) then I think I'm set. But I will be testing it all to be certain.

danmitch1

I agree with both of you, with the rads pulling hot air in the case all the other components seem still "comfortable" warmer for sure but nothing to write home about. I guess it would be different if I didn't have so much airflow.

Last night I thought of something.
plexi.jpg

as you can see, all the heat is concentrated in that area on the right. I wonder if I blocked off that area from the rest of the pc with a piece of plexi or something then installed a 140mm super strong air flow fan at the top to exhaust the heat from the rads if it would run even cooler.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Out of curiosity how hot does your RAM Get? Are those Top Fans Exhausting?
If so I think that is why your Temps are better because you have natural Convection with Warm Air rising out pretty fast.
Your setup I cannot see creating too many dead Air pockets. (other than the RAM and M.2 Slot).

-ST

danmitch1

Ram temps on both test hovered around 38c.
The top fans are all exhausting. that little 90mm jury rigged fan in the back is also exhausting.
The M2 however was the only significant temp difference, hot air from rads in = 45-57c - hot air from rads out = 37-49c

Soultribunal

Staff member
Yeah had I seen that picture first over everything else I would have said you are probably okay because you have your Case setup in a Convection format.
The M.2 temps are a bit high for might liking but probably not at a point where it would throttle them.

-ST

CMetaphor

Quadfather
The top fans are all exhausting. that little 90mm jury rigged fan in the back is also exhausting.
I'd actually flip that around and if possible put a slightly bigger fan in its place. A nice cool air intake right over the VRMs then heading straight out would help them, and it not dragging some of the airflow towards the rear of the case would probably help the top fans get the Rad air out more cleanly.

As for the plexiglass idea. If you've got the materials, why not try it? It would definitely isolate the rad heat from the rest, and in doing would probably get your GPU and M.2 cooler as well, those two bottom fans cooling them without any interference.

danmitch1

Yeah had I seen that picture first over everything else I would have said you are probably okay because you have your Case setup in a Convection format.
The M.2 temps are a bit high for might liking but probably not at a point where it would throttle them.

-ST
Oh, i never knew m2 drives would thermal throttle?

I'd actually flip that around and if possible put a slightly bigger fan in its place.

As for the plexiglass idea. If you've got the materials, why not try it? It would definitely isolate the rad heat from the rest, and in doing would probably get your GPU and M.2 cooler as well, those two bottom fans cooling them without any interference.
I was thinking of flipping that little fan to an intake too. Unfortunately I cant fit anything bigger than a 90mm, maybe a more powerful fan?

That plexi idea sounds great but might look ugly no ? Lol

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Well, Plexi IS clear, twas your idea too so up to you.

And no, Not a powerful fan at all there. You just are using it to stop airflow from diverting out. Keep that bottom to top airflow intact. In fact, does that gap fit 2x 80mm fans? Use that. Just get a tiny bit more cold air into the case from that spot, using the fans to keep everything flowing upward, and I'll think you'll be golden.

Edit: although... You *could* play around with a bit more power from that spot, see which way gives you the best VRM temps - the part that'll benefit the most.

Soultribunal

Staff member
@danmitch1 - Oh absolutely they will. It's why a lot of the high performance drives are coming with Heatsinks or Heat spreaders. Look at the customer heatsink those WD Black Nvme Drives come with. It also depends on the drive when it will start to throttle. Not sure what you are running atm.

-ST

danmitch1

Well, Plexi IS clear, twas your idea too so up to you.

And no, Not a powerful fan at all there. You just are using it to stop airflow from diverting out. Keep that bottom to top airflow intact. In fact, does that gap fit 2x 80mm fans?
I just realized that my plexi idea would look terrible.
I can fit 2 70mm fans back there, im contemplating getting a couple for shits and giggles

@danmitch1 - Oh absolutely they will. It's why a lot of the high performance drives are coming with Heatsinks or Heat spreaders. Not sure what you are running atm.

-ST
Ive got the Samsung 970 evo 500gb. Its under the heatsink just above the gpu. Samsung says
  • OPERATING TEMPERATURE
    0 - 70 ℃
I guess it would start thermal throttling above 70c?

Twitter