What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kraken x72 or Corsair H150i

danmitch1

Hmm, maybe I could put the 360mm at the top exhausting and my gpu rad exhausting out the side now that I think of it.

PS Soul: is it just me, or is your font color pale grey? I have to highlight it to read your posts.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Is this any better by chance? The new forums have screwed me up a bit too and have taken time to get adjusted to.
Sorry about that.

I've always been one for not introducting additional heat into a case if I could help it. When I played around with it back in the H50 Days with Corsair (when they said to pull outside air) there was only a 5-10% difference in temps on the CPU side, but almost a 30-40% increase on the VRM's and MOSFETS / CAPS. So, I was not going to continue that.
Again, it's anecdotal in the sense that the sample size is me, but I don't have the means to test every case config.

But to me, common sense dictates to Exhaust Warm air from the limited dimensions of a case.

-ST

danmitch1

Actually worse! Completely white text..

Anyways, its worth a try. However I need to set up both to really know.

Would hot MOSFETs, vrm's caps etc.. possibly contribute to hotter cpu temps as well?

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... I suspect you're running into the dark/light mode issue we had early on ST. Best bet is to go into settings and choose default text colour. (I suspect you did exactly the same thing I did... set your colour to white which looks fine on the black background, but doesn't adjust to black for the white background... :) ).

Soultribunal

Staff member
Yeah I would try it both ways to see which one works for you, but check all temps and see. Like I said, had I gone by just my CPU Temp I never would have noticed anything else. But I learned a lot about thermal controls when I was at a company years ago now. So I checked out the whole picture and yeah, learned quite a bit.

Blue Text now, hopefully that is easier to read LOL, sorry about that Dan. Learning curve even for me.

-ST

danmitch1

Yup, i can read you post fine now. No worries!
Well thanks for the insight, ill test both and see.

danmitch1

Got my h150i saturday. I first tried it in the same config as my h100i ( pulling cool air from outside the case ) and i saw ~ 10c cooler.
Then I reconfigured it to exhaust ( pulling air from inside the case ) I also set my GPU rad to pull from inside and exhaust out. Was only 5-6c cooler.
The system, mosfet and VRM temps were only 5c hotter when exhausting the rads inside my case.

So for my build, pulling cool air from outside the case works much better.
Took me all day to figure out lol.. but at least i know the best config for my build.

Im very happy with the h150i so far. I think it was a good choice!

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@danmitch1
Yea I'm considering the same for H80 in my tiny ass restrictive case.
Fresh air hitting the Rad, aka cooling the CPU, has to be the first priority right? I mean, VRMs can handle like 70-80c + their whole lives and never miss a beat, so I'm considering doing as you've done for my build as well: intake cold air straight through the rad and let the slightly "warmer" air push past everything else on its way out the back of the case.

sswilson

Staff member
Personally, I think the biggest concern for motherboard components should be straight up airflow as opposed to actual temps (within reason of course). Most motherboard components have pretty high operating ranges so my main worry is that there aren't any dead air spots in the case.