What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kraken x72 or Corsair H150i

Soultribunal

Staff member
@danmitch1 - Actually it will start throttling before 70 since that is the upper range. I would assume at 55-60 (each manufacturer is a bit different, as is each controller so they will decide when to start slowing it down). As well the hotter it runs as well, the faster the cells wear out.
I learned a lot from a Storage Guru whom taught me so much over the years here.

-ST

Soultribunal

Staff member
Depending on what they set your controller to throttle at, yes.
IF they trust it to run high temps, then it might start at 60.
That being said, the higher the temp, the shorter the life of the NAND.

-ST

danmitch1

Hmmm, maybe I should be getting 2 fans for the back intake sooner than later!

Soultribunal

Staff member
That or get one of those nice Add-in Cards that is PCI-e and stick the M.2 drive on there. A lot of them come with fans and everything. Keeps them nice and cool.

My thought at least.

-ST

danmitch1

Oh , the pcie m2 adapter? I have one i used on an older board that didn't have an integrated m2 slot. The bandwidth is less though at 4x.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Oh , the pcie m2 adapter? I have one i used on an older board that didn't have an integrated m2 slot. The bandwidth is less though at 4x.

What do you mean? No nvme uses more than 4x lanes. So as long as you're PCIe slot for such an adapter is fast enough (PCIe version 3.0+) then there would be serious difference between mounting or in the board or using such a daughter board*.

*Actually, there might be one difference: your m.2 nvme might be using PCIe lanes that go directly to the cpu, whereas the same might not be true for all your PCIe slots - some may go through the Northbridge instead. So double check that to be sure. Tbh I don't know how big a difference in performance youll get if it goes through the NB as opposed to a direct link to the cpu, buy considering how much cooler it'll run, even naked, I'd say it's probably worth it.

The problem is your case has fans on the top and bottom, great convection helpers, but no fan is facing the pcie slots directly. So a little m.2 SSD flat up against the mobo is only getting a small amount of airflow going across it, air that mostly goes to your GPU. So yeah, even without a heatsink on it, moving the m.2 SSD to a daughter board (i like this nomenclature so I'm sticking with it) puts it directly in the path of those bottom intake fans. I'd say you'll get very noticeable improvements in its temps without even needing to buy an additional heatsink and/or fan for it. (y)

danmitch1

4x only? ohhh ,ahh that was it, its the M2 slot uses pci lanes on the motherboard the PCI slots use the cpu. So im giving my gpu and soon to be 2 gpus the 16x they need. Perhaps some fans in the back will have to do!

sswilson

Staff member
4x only? ohhh ,ahh that was it, its the M2 slot uses pci lanes on the motherboard the PCI slots use the cpu. So im giving my gpu and soon to be 2 gpus the 16x they need. Perhaps some fans in the back will have to do!

You can also look for some kind of spot cooling... my motherboard came with a chipset fan standoff and I used it to direct the airflow of a 50mm fan over my NVMe drive when it was in the flat-on-the-motherboard position. (It's been moved to the vertical mount so I don't need the active cooling any more).

As per my previous comment... while getting fresh air onto it might be optimum, as long as your interior case temps aren't crazy high you can get away with finding a way to ensure airflow over the M.2 Drive.

(Images in this post... https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/t...40-50mm-fan-for-cooling-ssd.77581/post-868810 )

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather

Double check your motherboard manual for the schematic showing the distribution for PCIe lanes, it might be as you say, or a different way. I've seen sometimes the Cpu providing only the first 16x slot and then the Northbridge handled the rest. So double check, maybe your M.2 *is* fastest in the M.2 slot, so you'll have to decide if the small performance hit of going through the NB (if it does) is worth the extra heat of it being flat against the mobo.

Latest posts