What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

L4D2 Fan Revolt in the News!

Chilly

Left 4 Dead fans are apparently so angry at Valve Software’s announcement of a sequel that they’re threatening to boycott any purchase of the game. Over 4,000 fans (as of time of posting) have signed up to a group on Valve Software’s Steam game deliver and social networking system called “L4D2 Boycott”.

Valve, developer and publisher of iconic games including Left 4 Dead, Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal and Counter-Strike, are renowned for their relations with the fan community, so this boycott is a serious break from form for them.

Read more here.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
They deserved this IMO. It is what happens when a company's pandering to console gamers effectively alienates their fan base.

EVERYTHING..and I mean EVERYTHING in the sequel could have been added through a DLC.

I signed it and would hope that any avid L4D player signs it as well.

bojangles

I'll sign it too when I get home. I completely agree that it should have been done through a DLC update. I'm not going to fork over more money for the same game. Heck, the original STILL needs updates to make it long lasting. Put these two "titles" together and now we have a game.

SKYMTL

Staff member
My thoughs:

- Let the Console players pay their usual $70 bucks for it
- Us PC gamers get it as a DLC

Cheator

I don't see this as a big problem. L4D is awesome and not a full priced game. I got my 30 bucks out of it for sure, and those that took advantage of the half price weekend surely did too. More importantly, this does not mean there won't be DLC for L4D 1, and in valve's usual way of doing things, they'll probably make it cheap for people to get the second if they have the first. Its WAY too early to panic.

thenewguy001

It was fully priced when it came out. I paid $50 for what is essentially 2 multiplayer maps and am still waiting for $50 worth of promised content. I find this sequel wholly unacceptable and will not pay a cent for it.

SKYMTL

Staff member
It was fully priced when it came out. I paid $50 for what is essentially 2 multiplayer maps and am still waiting for $50 worth of promised content. I find this sequel wholly unacceptable and will not pay a cent for it.

Bingo. Many of us bought the game when it was first released and listened to Valve's talk of tons of additional content. So far we have received what? The Survival Pack which doesn't really bring anything new to the table for most players.

IMO, a slap in the face is a slap in the face. Even if it is followed handshake.

Cheator

Sorry I guess I paid more, though I think I did the pre-order thing. didn't we get 10% off?

Whatever, in my eyes I loved it. Worth the money, great game, so I disagree with yall, respectfully.

bojangles

Sorry I guess I paid more, though I think I did the pre-order thing. didn't we get 10% off?

Whatever, in my eyes I loved it. Worth the money, great game, so I disagree with yall, respectfully.

Just wait until you have to pay for the same game AGAIN.:doh:

The only thing that changed was the AI director, which does absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay really. I can see zombies just as well in the dark as I can in daylight.

Bring it all to the original L4D and we have a winner. I'm sure that if they advertise it well enough that the same amount of people will buy it, just like the original. So, technically, they have double the fanbase on one game, which means that it won't die out as fast once the servers start disappearing.

FiXT

Hall of Fame
I take that back - I just watched a gameplay trailer

*signed*

I wouldn't agree that they should give it out for free - but I do think they should make it as an an "addon" package or sorts. I would be willing to purchase it if it was a reasonable say $29.99 instead of the typical new game price of $49.99