What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop cpu AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor or Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor??

syfer

Hi so i want to replace my old intel 4th gen hp laptop so I have decided to look at pcword/currys as if you live in the uk they are the one big retail where i can buy so in sore they have these two AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor or Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor but what I want to ask for the long term which one is better buying? I also see
AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor also but im not sure in which one would better buy as CPU just now.
Would like advice on this.

moocow

What's your use case? Just school stuff or actual production software like video / image editing or playing games? AMD in general is better for applications using multiple threads but Intel is very good with Adobe apps. I would suggest you take a look at Hardware Unbox and/or Dave2D to see if they got reviews of laptops you are looking at.

syfer

What's your use case? Just school stuff or actual production software like video / image editing or playing games? AMD in general is better for applications using multiple threads but Intel is very good with Adobe apps. I would suggest you take a look at Hardware Unbox and/or Dave2D to see if they got reviews of laptops you are looking at.

It for normal use not gaming me be a bit of video editing light editing for youtube and photoshoot work.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I would suggest the AMD side of things to be honest. Their Laptop APU's are actually really really good. It should do everything you need and more, TBH.

-ST

Vittra

If they are on sale, both the 4500U and 4700U are great - the 4700U would give you 2 additional CPU cores primarily and I think this is the better decision for a long-term purchase. Also try to figure out if the models you are looking at let you upgrade the ram, or if it's soldered, that way you aren't stuck with the exact amount you originally purchase. Otherwise if you can wait, that retailer should start carrying the 5500U/5700U shortly - probably in the same design/chassis depending on brand.

5300U/5500U/5700U are still Zen2, but refreshed with SMT enabled (hyperthreading) and have 1 additional GPU core over their previous variants when directly compared (4300U/5500U/4700U). 5800U and H-series are Zen3 but outside of the scope of this question - just mentioning for reference.

The only reasons to consider the 1135-G7 is if you need Thunderbolt, or if you need the highest integrated GPU performance possible.

syfer

the models are
LENOVO IdeaPad Flex 5 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 256 GB SSD, Grey
Windows 10 S
AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 12 hours

LENOVO IdeaPad Flex 5 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 512 GB SSD, Teal
Windows 10 S
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 12 hours
these are my option with amd.
but the gpu used 2 gb of memory of 8gb i think so I'm not sure if that better option. Windows uses 2 gb and then gpu will be 2 so then 4gb will be used only leaving 4gb left........

On intel its either
DELL Inspiron 14 5406 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Grey
(39)
4 offers available
Windows 10
Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 9 hours

HP Pavilion x360 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Silver
(2066)
Windows 10