What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop LCD problem

Dead Things

Hello everybody!

Has anybody seen this problem before with a laptop LCD?

Pic: Imgur (Also attached below in lower res)

The screen is darkened, almost a quarter of the screen on the right is blackened, and the image bleeds about a centimeter at the bottom (note that this behaviour persists regardless of resolution, as well as in non-Windows environments such as BIOS and a Ubuntu live disk). The laptop is a bit aged and has had its fair share of use, so I figured it was a bad backlight or something in the screen that had gone kaput. But I replaced the LCD with another known working one from another laptop and get the same problem. The pic is, in fact, what it looks like with the new LCD installed.

I kept all the same cables and inverter board from the original machine because the ones from the donor machine would not have fit into the casing. So before I either spend money on it or abondon it, I thought I'd ask if anybody had seen this before and know what's causing the problem.

Thanks in advance Hardware Canucks! :canadianwave:

Attachments

Cptn Vortex

What happens if you plug an external monitor into the laptop? That is indeed a strange one... My guess is something to do with GPU...

Dead Things

What happens if you plug an external monitor into the laptop? That is indeed a strange one... My guess is something to do with GPU...
Good question - external monitor plugged into VGA connector displays properly.

edit - Oh, and this is a Socket M machine using the onboard i945GM GPU in the chipset.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter