What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop problem

JMCD

Well, it's been a long time coming but my monitor is literally falling off of it's hinges. One side is cracking, and the one side literally came apart tonight. Duct tape slowed this process but it only was temporary. Is there any way to re-attach a monitor? Getting to look inside now it looks like the metal broke from just opening and closing it, and the plastic around it broke from the pressure. Really it looks like I might just be better off finding a way to hold it in place and forget about ever opening and closing it again. Just use it as a desktop more or less.

I'd really rather not buy another laptop, but I suppose one of those $200 netbooks could suffice for the time being.

Any suggestions?

enaberif

Well, it's been a long time coming but my monitor is literally falling off of it's hinges. One side is cracking, and the one side literally came apart tonight. Duct tape slowed this process but it only was temporary. Is there any way to re-attach a monitor? Getting to look inside now it looks like the metal broke from just opening and closing it, and the plastic around it broke from the pressure. Really it looks like I might just be better off finding a way to hold it in place and forget about ever opening and closing it again. Just use it as a desktop more or less.

I'd really rather not buy another laptop, but I suppose one of those $200 netbooks could suffice for the time being.

Any suggestions?
Once the hinges break on a laptop generally the only way to fix it is to replace the casing whether it be the screen portion, the bottom or both.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Same thing happened on my Dell lappy; cost me 20$ on ebay for new hinges and 35$ for a new screen cover. Looks and handles like a new one now.

JMCD

Ugh, it's some kind of MDG. No idea what model. It's about 2 years old.

Model MS1613 and some chineese stuff on the back.

I don't think this is fixable though as the hinge is still in, but it's broken off of the monitor. I'd need a replacement monitor I believe.

Thund3rball

Seems MDG notebooks are often just rebranded from Acer or MSI. Anychance yours is a an Acer Travelmate 613 or something along those lines in an MSI model number?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Ugh, it's some kind of MDG. No idea what model. It's about 2 years old.

Model MS1613 and some chineese stuff on the back.

I don't think this is fixable though as the hinge is still in, but it's broken off of the monitor. I'd need a replacement monitor I believe.
Nope, no need to replace the monitor, only the frame.

Twitter