What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop screen flickers

Kilauea

Hello,

I have been having some weird problem with my laptop's screen. It is connected to my main monitor with HDMI cable and only on the laptop, sometimes it will flicker. If I massage the back of the screen, it tends to stop.

Therefore, at first, I thought it was a problem of connection.

However, lately, I have also noticed that if I play with what is shown on the laptop, it will fix the problem for some time. Like, sometimes, I can't go full screen on Chrome.
As in, when I am full screen, it will flicker and when I restore down, it will stop. I know I'm not the most knowledgeable of those things, but I fail to see what could cause such a problem.

It happens both when the laptop is plugged it or not.... When it is connected to an external monitor or not. But, I notice it more when it is plugged and connected to an external monitor because that is how I use it most of the time.

The laptop is sitting on a laptop cooler when it is connected to an external monitor. Temperatures seem normal even if I wished they were lower (max 70ish). It happens when I am not doing anything specially intensive with it.

The laptop is a Sager W230ST running at i7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM, it has both an mSata SSD and a 2.5" HDD.

Edit: the problem is not limited to a single program. It can happen anytime with any program being displayed on the laptop or even with nothing on it.

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Looking it up online there's two GPUs on that Notebook, the Intel iGPU and the Nvidia GT 765M

Hmm first off you running latest drivers for both GPUs?
Also, what version of Windows are you running?
Is your Google Chrome setup to use the Intel iGPU or the Nvidia GPU? Check your Nvidia Control Pannel please. If Chrome isn't in there?
Add it and try using the Nvidia GPU and again with the iGPU to see if it does it with both.

Kilauea

I'm using windows 7 Ultimate 64.

I pretty much always update my drivers for my GPU, but I might be a week or 2 behind release.

I'll try to look into Chrome to see what you're telling me.

Kilauea

I've waited for the problem to occur (because it is intermittent) and then I switched to NVIDIA processor and the problem did not changed.

Kilauea

Anyone has any other ideas ?
The problem persists. It does not only happen with Chrome, but with my usual set up, it is more common with Chrome.
It also happens when I use just the laptop without external monitor.

MARSTG

Screen flickering usually means gpu is either overheating or starts to die. Have you cleaned the heatsinks of both cpu and gpu? Maybe open it up, clean the 2 heatsinks thoroughly and even repaste the cpu and gpu.

Kilauea

I'm still looking for a solution to my problem. I really can't figure out what it can be.

Massaging the back of the screen will help. So I would think it's hardware related.
But reducing a window will also help (but not always), so I would think it can't be hardware related.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter