What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop to replace surface pro 4

FreeKnight

So I haven't kept up with laptops at all.

My surface pro 4 is getting a little slow and I'm finding the 12" screen too small to really use much and thinking about an upgrade.

I want to stick with something light and portable though. Gaming is not a concern. It's mostly browsing and MS office in the field. I can check MS's latest offerings, but is there anything else I should be considering? Zenbooks? Samsung Galaxy laptops?

I do like the detachable keyboard, but I can live without it, so while that's a perk, it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Looks like an Ultrabook will suit you well, anything else that's small and thin won't be any faster than what you already have.
What's your budget?

Izerous

Folding Team
If I was to go out and buy a laptop right now I'd still be looking at frame.work laptops. Wife uses an older surface (might be a 3) and when it gives up that's what I'd likely order for her as well.

Edit: they also just announced a newer 16in model and AMD options. The 16in model you can add/remove a numpad and a few other interesting ideas.

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

I seen this post last night and was thinking about the same thing ( kind of ) my surface pro 3 is sometimes acting weird so this got me thinking of maybe finding a another used one or possibly looking more into this that I found on amazon I am not sure actually how good it is . I am not sure why this isnt actually showing the picture but the link does work

JD

Staff member
Do you still need partial "tablet" mode at times then? Lenovo Yoga might fit the bill perhaps. I think there's been decent deals on them lately, especially if you use the various Work Perk type coupon programs.

Latest Surface Pro looks to be 13" now too, not really a significant increase in size though.

FreeKnight

Do you still need partial "tablet" mode at times then? Lenovo Yoga might fit the bill perhaps. I think there's been decent deals on them lately, especially if you use the various Work Perk type coupon programs.

Latest Surface Pro looks to be 13" now too, not really a significant increase in size though.
Not really. It's handy once in a while, but I can live with a more traditional laptop. Kind of considering a surface laptop, but I haven't had time to dig into details and competition yet.

Lysrin

Not really. It's handy once in a while, but I can live with a more traditional laptop. Kind of considering a surface laptop, but I haven't had time to dig into details and competition yet.
My wife has a Surface laptop, several years old now. She isn't a "hard" user, but does do what you describe; MS Office, web, media consumption. We're happy with it and it's still working great.

Hers has a touch screen that she likes and uses more than she expected, and a 4K screen... however the latter is a bit of a marketing gimmick because you can't read anything without a pretty high scaling percentage. However, it is a nice screen.

Latest posts