What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop video cards - which one is better?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I was tasked to find a good deal for a 15.4"lappy, with a decent video card; I've found the Dell XPS 1530, which has the 8600M GT 256Mb video card.

I also found the Asus F8SN-B1 which has the 9500M GS 512Mb video card. Though it's a 14", it has the T8100 chip...

Both are within the budget. Now which card is better?

Cheator

8600gt is pretty good. Googling is revealing that they are about the same but I don't really know. They're either the same, or the GT is better. lol, not very helpful...

If they are the same, I highly recomend it. I can play all modern games fairly well, and that CPU is awesome.

Jmac

The G84/G86 GPUs have documented, unresolved reliability issues. Performance is roughly the same, but I'd take the 9500, both for the lower probability of failure, but also for the lower power consumption and lower thermal output.

3.0charlie

8600gt is pretty good. Googling is revealing that they are about the same but I don't really know. They're either the same, or the GT is better. lol, not very helpful...

If they are the same, I highly recomend it. I can play all modern games fairly well, and that CPU is awesome.
I know, I've googled first before asking, and found no true answer. Which CPU are you referring to, the T8100?

Also I've remarked that you have a 8600M GT in your Acer. Can you tell which games you're able to play?

I do lean towards the 9500 though, simply for the lower heat output and power consumption, as stated by Jmac.

Thanks!

Cheator

I know, I've googled first before asking, and found no true answer. Which CPU are you referring to, the T8100?

Also I've remarked that you have a 8600M GT in your Acer. Can you tell which games you're able to play?

I do lean towards the 9500 though, simply for the lower heat output and power consumption, as stated by Jmac.

Thanks!
Sure. The T8100 is a great CPU, Its in my lappy too.

I can play Crysis pretty well, TF2, COD4, COH, etc... actually I haven't found something I can't run yet. IF you want me to do some benchies I can.

3.0charlie

Thund3rball

I have the XPS M1530, it's a great machine. Looking at the two choices you are presenting, I'd be tempted to go with the Asus for the extra CPU power. The graphics cards are going to be negligible in performance differences. But I LOVE the 15.4" screen on my 1530. Especially for games. I've got WSXGA+, not sure what you're looking at for res? Also Asus laptops are notorious for horrible battery power. So if on the go computing is important don't get the Asus.

3.0charlie

Well then, the XPS it is. Thanks all for your insights, since I know sweet-f***-all about laptops....

Cheator

Really? Crysis? Well, you're not helping... Thanks for the offer, but I won't need benches. You just gave me one with that answer.

So we have a lappy with a T5850 and a 8600M GT on 15.4".
And we have a lappy with a T8100 and a 9500M GT on 14".

And look what I found while googling a little further: 8600 GT GDDR3 256 MB VS. 9500M GS 512MB ( Challenge to gamers) - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion. I think just because of the latest technology, the 9500M GT is really appealing.
I'm not helping? Yes Crysis.

3.0charlie

I'm not helping? Yes Crysis.
I would have never taught that you could play Crysis on a laptop; hence my reply... I was not expecting this! More in the like of "forget about playing games, both cards are equal...".

Your reply actually gave me the opposite; both cards are very capable. Thank you for your info, it helped me make my choice.

Latest posts