What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Laptop won't post with both RAM slots filled

moocow

I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop which I'm using to test some spare SODIMM I got from work. When I put in the same model of RAM (Corsair CM3X8GSDKIT1066) into both of the slots, the computer would not go past post. In fact, I see some video artifacts and the laptop then powers off. I know for sure both slots work because it already have 2x4GB Samsung which I been using for at least 1 to 2 years. I tried powering on the laptop with each of the stick of Corsair and it worked and I'm in the middle of testing one at a time. Could it be some kind of BIOS setting (very limited to start with) I missed or is there some kind of reset procedure I need to do?

KaptCrunch

check what model?
XPS 15 L502X
XPS 15 L521X
XPS 15Z L511Z
XPS 15 9530
XPS 15 9550
XPS 15 L501X

then go to dell

and update bios

other, the ram slot can be for video ram not system for you say corruption on display

moocow

Well one stick went thru 17 test cycles over night and passed the test. Swap in the other stick in the pair and it actually crapped out. Updated the BIOS and it still crap out during boot up and in BIOS. So I'm pretty sure this particular stick is causing the problem.

moocow

Possible but unlike in this specific case because both sticks are the same model running at 1066. I just put in a 1333mhz Corsair and it already passed 3 test cycles. My original 8GB pair is also Samsung 1333mhz and it ran fine. The RAM came from my old office's recycle bin which I just got around to test to see which I can salvage. Very possible that the 2 sticks came from 2 different pair set of the same model as the numbers on the stickers are different so I'm assuming they are from a different batch.

Latest posts

Twitter