What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Leaks from Igor's Lab Navi21 XT power

Dwayne

The AMD fan bois are in full defend mode on Videocardz as Igor's Labs releases some "full grain of salt" leaked info on the upcoming "Big Navi" cards.

The big take away is the theoretical Navi 21 XT card will draw about the same power as the 3080, 320 W total. This is setting off the AMD bois who were quite smug about the heating effects of NVidia cards, and the thermal inefficiencies of Samsung's 8 NM process.

We still don't know anything, but the fighting in the comments is hilarious as the sides line up and jab each other.

Entz

🍿

If the performance is there I don't care a lot about the power. More importantly is the stock there? Nvidia is hitting < 8% of 3070 orders (by retailers). That is going to be a :poop: show again...

Dwayne

🍿

If the performance is there I don't care a lot about the power. More importantly is the stock there? Nvidia is hitting < 8% of 3070 orders (by retailers). That is going to be a :poop: show again...

Considering that AMD has taken almost 2 months to do their announcement after NVidia's, you would hope they have been ramping up their production. But, a new fab will likely have start up issues. If their GPU announcement is similar to the CPU announcement we should expect cards to be for sale around US Black Friday perhaps? What volume will be interesting. I don't expect AMD to do any better, honestly. I think the problems with the global supply chain and shipping are causing more problems than we know about. It would be interesting if we had any forum members that have knowledge in that area could give us some insights.

Mr. Friendly

Considering that AMD has taken almost 2 months to do their announcement after NVidia's, you would hope they have been ramping up their production. But, a new fab will likely have start up issues. If their GPU announcement is similar to the CPU announcement we should expect cards to be for sale around US Black Friday perhaps? What volume will be interesting. I don't expect AMD to do any better, honestly. I think the problems with the global supply chain and shipping are causing more problems than we know about. It would be interesting if we had any forum members that have knowledge in that area could give us some insights.
indeed, a lot of products have been going EoL because the original parts it was built / tested and troubleshot on can't be had meaning they have potential time bombs cause they don't have a way to support said product. it's been interesting to see all this. surveillance has been hit really hard...

Bond007

Being a realist, I am not surprised, but will wait for official reviews to see real world power consumption and performance.

Given AMD was behind in efficiency, I expect that they will have made up some ground, but likely still a less efficient architecture. So if they end up having a ballpark similar efficiency overall I think that will make sense (slightly less efficient architecture, but slightly better manufacturing node).

Just my random thoughts...we will see.

MARSTG

Nobody cares about the power consumption, gamers least of all. We'll always have oversized PSUs, and, historically, the power consumption of gpus, even in reviews has not been more than a footnote.

Lysrin

Nobody cares about the power consumption, gamers least of all. We'll always have oversized PSUs, and, historically, the power consumption of gpus, even in reviews has not been more than a footnote.

I know I'm in this camp, for gaming anyway. I suppose miners are concerned about power consumption but we don't want them buying cards and driving up prices anyway! :p

Dwayne

I agree. I watched Buildzoid go over the hypothetical case of an RDNA GPU with 2x the CUs of the 5700XT. His conclusion, basically, was to get high performance, you need high power. Anyone who thought that AMDs next GPU would compete with a 3080 but not consume the same, or close to the same, power was dreaming. The past little while has given AMD the chance to tune up their clock speeds and power draw, and to see what they could add to the card.

I still get a chuckle out the the angst that people have about the 10 GB on the 3080. We have been living with 8 GB for the bulk of cards, and 11 GB for the Ti series, for a few years now. It didn't seem to be a problem until the release information from NVidia came out. Suddenly 10 GB isn't enough RAM. Funny how all of us out here using 8 GB cards don't seem to be having a problem though. For the future, perhaps, but consoles certainly don't have 16 GB VRAM to play with, and console game development seems to be a driver of computer games in general lately. Still, this gives AMD a wedge in putting out 16 GB cards.

Mr. Friendly

well...I pay for electricity, but being my step-daughter and her hubby etc are consistently overheated, the heater will never turn on. the tenants down here said they were froze out, while upstairs complained about being cooked when the used the wood stove that's down here.

speaking of which, I need to look into getting 2 cords of wood. that's all my insurance allows me to burn before the wood stove becomes primary heat source, even if we have a gas furnace, :p