What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

leaky battery

grinder

Replaced a PSU battery today... very typical considering the batteries are a consumable item. First ever "leaky" battery tho. PSU still operates fine with the replacement... enyone else have a hand full of battery acid trying to replace a PSU battery? ick

supaflyx3

I wasn't aware PSUs had batteries, nor have I disassembled one because I enjoy not being dead. o.o

dustin1706

I'm assuming you mean UPS instead of PSU? I had a battery swell and leak in a ups but it was only about 15% more expensive just to replace the whole thing.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Most of the time the VRLA batteries in UPS units will rarely if ever leak even at their EOL stage.
Only the really really cheap ones from China.

There are actually good battery dealers nearby myself. I can get Japanese batteries for most UPS units much much cheaper than a UPS.

My APC 1300 XS , I got its replacement batteries for $19.23 each *needs two*. The same UPS to buy would have been $200 :)

I have had some UPS batteries in the bigger KVA units leak though. Makes a mess.
Baking Soda FTW.

-ST

grinder

late night posting :doh:

Yeah this model is a china-special... guess I know better now.

enaberif

The little batteries that are encased in plastic are notorious for doing this. Usually getting to warm or overloaded then they expand and POP make a mess :( Most UPS systems are a write off when this happens but the odd time you can be lucky and have no issues.

t0m

i made a thread here when mine popped. it didnt appear to leak though, the battery was full of white dust and the inside of the unit was dry. the ups is fine with a replacement in it :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
i made a thread here when mine popped. it didnt appear to leak though, the battery was full of white dust and the inside of the unit was dry. the ups is fine with a replacement in it :)

'Proper' VRLA batteries , that is what will happen to them.
I remembery your post well actually.
Usually the Taiwan / Jap batteries are good for not making a mess when they fail. But, as part of any thing else I think anyone who uses a UPS should check them twice a year.
I do, and it prevented an issue when the XS needed new ones.

Ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure anyday.

-ST

t0m

i just went back to have a look at that thread and got all warm and fuzzy inside. thanks again for all your help :)

KaptCrunch

I have had some UPS batteries in the bigger KVA units leak though. Makes a mess.
Baking Soda FTW.

-ST

nada on the baking soda (bubbles) for leaves a acid for your fighting a acid with a acid

rinse really well after to wash away active residue, otherwise will lift off plating on battery tray.

if leaking/swelling battery, is the unit overcharging battery.

Latest posts