What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's blow some minds

Arinoth

Staff member
That would be most of my second year in computer engineering and part of my third as some profs (math and some in engineering) absolutely hate the use of calculators in class or to be used in exams so i've had to learn and do most of the pain in the ass math by hand...

ipaine

no. bad idea.

Why, do you not think there is a benefit to actually learning something instead of just punching it into a machine? You do know we can train chimps for that.

Seriously, this over dependance on calculators in math drives me nuts. I'm not saying you can't ever use them but the idea is to learn how to use your head and actually solve the equation. Once you know how I'm sure you could do simpler equations like the one shown in that picture quicker than it would take to punch it into the calculator.

Then again I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy who believes in actual learning.

thorn

all it comes down to is where you assume the (9+3) is. If it is on the same level as the numerator, 288, or the denominator, 2.

However, to me, unless it is written like so 48/(2(9+3)) the answer is 288. Since to me 2(9+3) and 2*(9+3) are the same, but some calculators treat them differently in terms of priority.

Shadowmeph

well I think that this has everything to do with programming , like in C it would be one answer and in C++ it would be totally different so basically I think that both answers are correct.
I stumbled on something very similar, I am just starting to learn C programming and had put a line in and went to compile it and it messed up after a few tries and then finally I pounded down on my ego and posted on the programming site which took a total of 1 minute to get a replied answer that surprised me it ended up being my compiler was trying to compile a C++ line in C which gave me the two different out comes, once I redid the example in C instead of C++ the examples answer came out correct .

Latest posts