What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Sugar may be interested, and he'll confirm this week if it's a go. If not, it's out of the HTPC this week-end and will put up for sale - with a pic.

Dual folding 260s will start this Saturday.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Sugar may be interested, and he'll confirm this week if it's a go. If not, it's out of the HTPC this week-end and will put up for sale - with a pic.

:rofl: We will give you heck if you don't!

I was thinking of ways to try to promote the HWC folding team. I think we do pretty good for our size, but more members would be great.

We have the badges and the forum category...I was thinking some HWC folding swag but the numbers of people who would buy might not warrant an order. Sky mentioning folding in his reviews as he has might pique some interest...anyone else have any ideas?

LCB001

:rofl: We will give you heck if you don't!

I was thinking of ways to try to promote the HWC folding team. I think we do pretty good for our size, but more members would be great.

We have the badges and the forum category...I was thinking some HWC folding swag but the numbers of people who would buy might not warrant an order. Sky mentioning folding in his reviews as he has might pique some interest...anyone else have any ideas?
I was thinking it might be time to expand the scope of our Folding/Crunching Teams. When Rosetta@Home was first proposed I for one thought it might detract from our Folding@home Team, instead it seems to have reinvigorated it with several former members returning to the Fold and working hard as members of both parts our Team.

We already have a fledgling Seti@Home presence which is useful for when R@H is having server/supply issues. Another Boinc project which might spark interest is the World Community Grid [WCG]. One of the WCG projects is 'Help Cure Cancer' which is based out of the Ontario Cancer Institute, being Canadian I thought it a natural fit for this Forum. I know there are several HWC members that run WCG for other teams that we can hopefully recruit.

Separate from the Folding/Crunching I think we should start participating in DC Vault - Home Page which a clearing house for all things DC and runs a global master standings chart. This would result in greater exposure for our Teams and for HWC in general. There are currently ~394 teams and with our standings in F@H and R@H I think we would place about 264th on the list and would climb fast.

Sorry for the long post, but I think its time to do this. So what do you think ??...

Chilly

I was thinking it might be time to expand the scope of our Folding/Crunching Teams. When Rosetta@Home was first proposed I for one thought it might detract from our Folding@home Team, instead it seems to have reinvigorated it with several former members returning to the Fold and working hard as members of both parts our Team.

We already have a fledgling Seti@Home presence which is useful for when R@H is having server/supply issues. Another Boinc project which might spark interest is the World Community Grid [WCG]. One of the WCG projects is 'Help Cure Cancer' which is based out of the Ontario Cancer Institute, being Canadian I thought it a natural fit for this Forum. I know there are several HWC members that run WCG for other teams that we can hopefully recruit.

Separate from the Folding/Crunching I think we should start participating in DC Vault - Home Page which a clearing house for all things DC and runs a global master standings chart. This would result in greater exposure for our Teams and for HWC in general. There are currently ~394 teams and with our standings in F@H and R@H I think we would place about 264th on the list and would climb fast.

Sorry for the long post, but I think its time to do this. So what do you think ??...

I don't know, the thing with Rosetta @ Home is that its something that can easily be run on the CPU while people Fold @ Home on their GPU's. F@H and R@H can live togther peacefully and at full throttle with little to no issue. I see adding a third team would simply strain the resources of our folding/crunching members as they try to alocate resources between 3 or more projects.

R@H and F@H complement each other as the F@H ppd achieved on a CPU is minisucle compared to GPU folding. This allows people to crunch full power on R@H, producing good numbers on both, taking a almost non-existent hit on both(maybe 5% ppd/RAC on both due to overhead, loss of CPU folding)

Theres something to be said about spreading oneself too thin, and starting another 3rd main team would be just that IMO.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I don't know, the thing with Rosetta @ Home is that its something that can easily be run on the CPU while people Fold @ Home on their GPU's. F@H and R@H can live togther peacefully and at full throttle with little to no issue. I see adding a third team would simply strain the resources of our folding/crunching members as they try to alocate resources between 3 or more projects.

R@H and F@H complement each other as the F@H ppd achieved on a CPU is minisucle compared to GPU folding. This allows people to crunch full power on R@H, producing good numbers on both, taking a almost non-existent hit on both(maybe 5% ppd/RAC on both due to overhead, loss of CPU folding)

Theres something to be said about spreading oneself too thin, and starting another 3rd main team would be just that IMO.

I think we can do the DC Vault with what we currently have. Our team seems a little small, so there are only so many projects we can do, but there seems to be no harm in having our stats added to another database.

Chilly

I think we can do the DC Vault with what we currently have. Our team seems a little small, so there are only so many projects we can do, but there seems to be no harm in having our stats added to another database.

I have nothing against DC Vault as its simply a stats comparison database. Its not going to divide our resources. :thumb:

LCB001

I actually have the same concerns as you just stated. I thought I would just throw it up there to explore the idea and see what thoughts people had on the subject. I am at heart a F@H addict and certainly don't want to distract members from either the F@H or R@H parts of our Team. I mentioned WCG because its popular, Cure For Cancer is Canadian based, and with Seti@Home would give us something to Crunch when the R@H servers are down as they seem to be frequently lately.

If we do decide to join DC Vault do we sign up as;

Hardware Canucks Forum - like our F@H Team
HardwareCanucks - like at R@H or
Hardware Canucks - two words like our Seti@Home Team.

Subtle differences but a standard should be established as it will come up again as our site grows.

As to CPU Folding, its not quite miniscule as my quads do ~3800-4000 PPD and a i7 running the linux client @3.6GHz will do 9000-10000 PPD. That said if I can get another decent card going I will be back contributing to our R@H Team...:thumb: