What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

bwm

So what does a guy like me with no time and little OC experience do if I get one that won't do that as easily as my poor little Q6600's hit 3.5?

chrisk

Folding Captain
i7 920, SLBEJ spec.

intel_core_i7_d0_920_02_550.jpg

Zero82z

Banned
anything below wont make it..? :)
-bigadv workunits are worth about 25k points each. However, if you turn them in before the deadline, you get bonus points. The amount of points you get is determined by how far in advance of the deadline the unit is uploaded. I believe a stock or lightly overclocked i7 (~3GHz) would just make it in under the deadline to get a bonus, but an overclocked CPU would complete units considerably faster, and therefore would obtain a much larger bonus.
And exactly which model# i7 chip are we talking about here?
Any of them. All i7 CPUs (including the LGA1156 Lynnfield variants) are capable of overclocking quite well, and like 3.0charlie said, 3.6GHz is basically guaranteed as long as you have decent cooling. Keep in mind that it must be an i7 and not an i5, since Hyperthreading is a requirement to be able to fold the units fast enough to submit before the deadline.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I get ~20K PPD on a 3.4GHZ OC (both chips). A little lower on the i7 on my main rig (~19K), a little higher on the i7 rig that only folds.

Just bumped one rig up to 3.6GHZ, and now both rigs (one at 3.4, the other 3.6) are folding along at the same clip currently.

llama_egg

Thanks for the information on the -bigadv, going to give it a whirl.

Sadly my i7 is only OC'd to 3.1 as I'm still stuck with the default intel cooler. Depressing really, finally got my new case and got it together, finally decided to put together my watercooling again (took it apart quite a while back), but apparently somehow my pump died.

The fact it hits roughly 75c when at 100% load makes me a bit worried about pushing it a bit further!

And it looks like it's working, 3 cores at 100% and 1 at 9x%. Either that or it's just playing with my emotions!

Last edited:

bwm

i7 920, SLBEJ spec.

intel_core_i7_d0_920_02_550.jpg

-bigadv workunits are worth about 25k points each. However, if you turn them in before the deadline, you get bonus points. The amount of points you get is determined by how far in advance of the deadline the unit is uploaded. I believe a stock or lightly overclocked i7 (~3GHz) would just make it in under the deadline to get a bonus, but an overclocked CPU would complete units considerably faster, and therefore would obtain a much larger bonus.

Any of them. All i7 CPUs (including the LGA1156 Lynnfield variants) are capable of overclocking quite well, and like 3.0charlie said, 3.6GHz is basically guaranteed as long as you have decent cooling. Keep in mind that it must be an i7 and not an i5, since Hyperthreading is a requirement to be able to fold the units fast enough to submit before the deadline.

I get ~20K PPD on a 3.4GHZ OC (both chips). A little lower on the i7 on my main rig (~19K), a little higher on the i7 rig that only folds.

Just bumped one rig up to 3.6GHZ, and now both rigs (one at 3.4, the other 3.6) are folding along at the same clip currently.
Very useful info gents. Thank you. I have a neet Gigabyte X58 board waiting for one. When I get her dual-pourpose machine finished then I can build another folding only rig for myself.

llama_egg

How long does it take for FahMON to show that the VMware is churning? My CPU is at 100% on each core (give or take a couple %) and my memory is at 80%, but yet it still shows it as paused. I'm slightly confused.

Edit; Well, it appears to be working after all, finally got a message saying;

Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)
Oddly enough though, it still shows it as paused.

Edit #2; From 1% to 2% it took 45 minutes, does this seem remotely right? If I'm not mistaken, that's 75 hours to complete a single project. 3 days seems a bit long all things considered, is it possible I'm missing something?

Also, apparently I'm 1,717,988% done according to FahMON. Huh...

Attachments

• Lulwut.png
    Lulwut.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

4DoorGTZ

Wow, I just wasted an entire night of trying to setup and install a VM or 2 to try bigadv on my i7 laptop. After the provided VM gave me an error about file size I shrugged it off and started my own VM with Ubuntu. Long story short my linux skills are lacking but I foudn out why the downloadable VM didnt work. Laptop came with a 500gb drive, and I added an 80gn SSD to use as my main drive, running Win7 64bit on the SSD, but putting all apps on the 500gb drive for space reasons. Well the large drive came formated in FAT32 wich only alows files up to 2gb and the VM's disk file is 4gb, so I'm formatting it in NTFS and might have at it again tomorrow.

BLAH.

Latest posts