What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

SugarJ

Staff member

Rison

I agree about the complexity issue, VMs can work sometimes or they can toss a wrench into things. For my gaming rig, I took the hit in points just so I could have a console that I could easily and quickly close when needed.
That's exactly why I run a VM on my main workstation, and do A3 advmethods, instead of bigadv. So much easier(safer) to pause work / exit than the windows client.

doup93

I've noticed that some of the recent BigAdv packets give few points and that a huge amount of time. I can't even meet the deadline while folding 24/7 (not overclocked).

Zero82z

Banned
That's exactly why I run a VM on my main workstation, and do A3 advmethods, instead of bigadv. So much easier(safer) to pause work / exit than the windows client.
The Windows client performs better than the Linux client when running A3 units, and closing it is also trivial. All you have to do is click the X button or press Ctrl+C. I don't see how a VM would give you any advantages.

10e

The Windows client performs better than the Linux client when running A3 units, and closing it is also trivial. All you have to do is click the X button or press Ctrl+C. I don't see how a VM would give you any advantages.
I agree. I've also been able to run it as a service on Windows XP, 2003 Server, Vista and Win7 now so I can pause or stop the service when need be.

Also since it runs on low priority it gives CPU resources up more easily than a VM which runs at normal priority.

The steps I've used to get it to run as a service are as follows:

1) Run the MPICH Install.bat as Administrator by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" and keep in mind which account and password I used to set up MPICH

2) Run the SMP client with the -configonly flag and punch in my username, passkey, flags, and then say "yes" when it asks to run as a service

3) I then go into the Service in the service control manager and change the logon account to the same one that I specified for the MPICH install such as .\Administrator or .\Username . The .\ specifies "localhost" or a local user account.

4) For Win7 and Vista I then go into the directory where I installed the client, right click the executable, and then in the compatibility tab set it to "Run as Administrator" and in some cases with Windows XP SP2 compatibility.

5) I then load up Regedit and go to the service for [email protected] under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> System > Current Control Set > Services > [email protected] - CPU [<machineID] and add a REG_MULTI_SZ key "DependOnService" and then enter MPICH2_SMPD to make sure the client service doesn't start without MPICH running

Voila it works. A bit of a pain but at least I don't have to watch it, or wonder if it will die if I restart the box.

You can also restart the service with the -oneunit flag by going into service control manager, stopping the service, and then in the "Additional parameters" box add -oneunit, and then start it again with the "Start" button.

Hasn't failed me yet. Works better than shortcuts in Startup folder because on multi-client OSes like Windows 2003 or 2008 it won't try and load every time you log in.

BrainEater

Yep , time to get folding.

WTF !?? (Way to fold) ...we're down to 700Kppd.....

Lets go team !!

Post CC breaky time is OVER !

---------

I'm finishing work on a couple ++Borgs.....They'll be out in the wild right away , with another coming soon.

:thumb:

badatcards

Yep , time to get folding.

WTF !?? (Way to fold) ...we're down to 700Kppd.....

Lets go team !!

Post CC breaky time is OVER !

---------

I'm finishing work on a couple ++Borgs.....They'll be out in the wild right away , with another coming soon.

:thumb:
+ 1 to that. We have 5 teams that are a threat to us, TPU being one of them:blarg:. Come on guys dont shut everything down, We need to fend them offWay To Fold.

badatcards

My brother just upgraded my PC's motherboard to a ? I forget. and CPU to a Q9550 @2.8GHz, 4GB Mushkin ram and a 2nd GTX 260:punk:, and bigger power supply. I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll get everything folding:thumb:, To tired right now. I think this may get me in the top 20 for ppd.

Attachments

chrisk

Folding Captain
Thats a nice upgrade Badatcards! Get some fresh air going through that case and get some OC on the go with those cards.

Latest posts

Twitter