What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

badatcards

ST

P.S - That board looks like an EVGA 790i SLI Board.
The motherboard is a EVGA 780i. New system is in specs

For those of you still SMP2 folding, there's a new "horror" WU out there.... 6041 is the new 6701.... :(
I got a 6701 when I first started up the smp2 on this rig and that WUs what made my power supply over heat( Smell weird) with out the fan working, I only got 2% of it done and had to shut it off, I think the PPD was showing around 4500 with the smp2 doing a 6701 WU. I figured all the SMP2 WUs would run hot so I never tried another smp2 WU.

Soultribunal

Staff member
The motherboard is a EVGA 780i. New system is in specs

I got a 6701 when I first started up the smp2 on this rig and that WUs what made my power supply over heat( Smell weird) with out the fan working, I only got 2% of it done and had to shut it off, I think the PPD was showing around 4500 with the smp2 doing a 6701 WU. I figured all the SMP2 WUs would run hot so I never tried another smp2 WU.

Ahh okay, they look really close together when like that so I was taking a guess.

ST

sswilson

Staff member
Haven't had that one yet (still doing windows bigadv). What kind of numbers you seeing?

Was seeing 12:02 TPF with a PPD of around 11,300. Stangely enough, I've pulled another one and am getting 11:04 TPF with PPD of 12,600.

6701 is aprox. TPF of 8:30 / PPD 11,500 while other WUs are low 3 minute TPF with PPD 15,000+.

Zero82z

Banned
For those of you still SMP2 folding, there's a new "horror" WU out there.... 6041 is the new 6701.... :(
6040 and 6041 have been out for a long time, and they run better for me than 6701 does.
I figured all the SMP2 WUs would run hot so I never tried another smp2 WU.
SMP2 units don't run especially hot, and the fact that your PSU failed is because it's a piece of crap, not because your CPU was being overstressed. That unit is manufactured by Wintech, a company that has since gone out of business and was known for making very explodey PSUs during its lifetime.

stoanee

Folding Team

I had to put my I7 away for a few days to get the basement rug in and when I fired it back up it is crunching a 6050 in VMWare for 4800 ppd with a tpf of 4:18. Hopefully it pulls up its pants again after this one is finished. :blarg:

badatcards

SMP2 units don't run especially hot, and the fact that your PSU failed is because it's a piece of crap, not because your CPU was being overstressed. That unit is manufactured by Wintech, a company that has since gone out of business and was known for making very explodey PSUs during its lifetime.
I dont think my CPU was being overstressed, I think my CPU folding at 100% is overstressing (overheating) my PSU with the fan not working. The PSU is working good to surf the web but I think the extra power draw for folding or gaming will make it meltdown or explode. I was thinking about taking out 1 GTX 260 to lighten the load on the PSU.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I dont think my CPU was being overstressed, I think my CPU folding at 100% is overstressing (overheating) my PSU with the fan not working. The PSU is working good to surf the web but I think the extra power draw for folding or gaming will make it meltdown or explode. I was thinking about taking out 1 GTX 260 to lighten the load on the PSU.

I would in all honesty Badatcards, heed Zero's advice on this. I am familiar with Ultra PSU's to a good degree and the X-Connect is not on any list for something you want to keep in your system. Even without the added stress you don't want that unit to die in your system and take out your gear with it. Its better to not fold , and then afford a new PSU Vs. Replacing a whole system.

ST

_dangtx_

Banned
ultras are ok, nothing great about them but ok. stressed out, but not maxed out? should be ok.

Soultribunal

Staff member
The LSP's and the X3's were based off the Andy Platform, and are quite robust and reliable.

The X-connect's and X2's on the other hand...better not to toy with them.

ST