What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

LCB001

chrisk

Folding Captain
Lol sorry LCB...that excel chart by legoman666 has been updated with newer cards (ie. GTX 295). I am not sure if the older cards like the 8800GT were updated with newer WUs like the 511s

LCB001

Lol sorry LCB...that excel chart by legoman666 has been updated with newer cards (ie. GTX 295). I am not sure if the older cards like the 8800GT were updated with newer WUs like the 511s
My own fault for not checking further. I just linked that one because it had his card on it, I'm getting lazy...:biggrin:

Soultribunal

Staff member
GPU____________________PPD
ATI Radeon 4870X2 2GB ~ 3800
ATI Radeon 4870 512MB ~ 3800
ATI Radeon 4850 512MB ~ 3200
ATI Radeon 3870X2 ~ 2000
ATI Radeon 3870 ~ 2000
ATI Radeon 3850 ~ 2000
ATI Radeon 3650 ~ 750
ATI Radeon 2600 ~ 700
ATI Radeon 2400 ~ 240

I folded with a single 4850 for 3 months and these numbers seem pretty average but they can fluctuate +/- 20% depending on project.
I noticed that ATI cards use more CPU but you can multitask better in windows while your card is folding as there is far less 2D slowdown than Nvidia cards.
Overclocking with ATI cards has a very minimal gain in ppd. Shaders are locked so you have to overclock the core to see gains in the shaders, also the shader technology is different and isn't fully utilized by the current clients(or maybe it's the video drivers *shrug)

Thanks Alwaysrun!
And Thanks for the Links there as well!!
I gotta get my GPU back to folding but I ran into a few issues with failed WU's.
I dunno if it was drivers or what, but I haven't folded with my 2600 in a while now.

zlojack

Alright, I'm getting up close to 13k PPD now out of my GTX 285s at stock volts. I can't OC them yet as they're on stock cooling until I get my blocks, but it looks like they're going to settle around there. This is with the CPU crunching, so I would imagine these cards are capable of more PPD on their own. I can't wait for my third card! Tri-SLI gaming and 18k+ PPD!!!

Mecher

Some ideas on power consumption for each of the cards is included in the excel spreadsheets I linked to above. At the bottom there is a "PPD$" tab which shows the wattage for all the cards while folding. Ie. the 8800GT 512mb card uses 78 watts while folding, according to the cart. It does not include idle watts but its a start.

Thanks for the info, I kind of came up with the same conclusion the hard way, I looked up some old reviews of 8800gt's and the system idle power was around 125 watts, and under full load around 220, close numbers, I can't remember what the system was, but all I wanted to know was how much more power the card used while folding, and it does not seem like much, maybe as much as a 60 watt light bulb? Thanks again for the info, back to folding... wait, it still is...:thumb:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Believe it or not, during testing I have found that power consumption will vary from one WU to the next.

4DoorGTZ

Well last week my dual Xeon $|-|it the bed (mobo dead) but I got my first gx2 up and running. Just bought another gx2 on ebay.... room for 3 more :)

Alwaysrun

Small gain for me after some teething issues with the SMP client but 1500 extra ppd from a stock E8400 aint to bad (still need to OC). I'm wondering if I dual boot and run the SMP client in a Linux variation if it might help even more. BTW is there a Linux GPU client? (being lazy heh) I think my next purchase will be a used quad and a junker 8800 just for sh^ts and giggles.

I guess EOC stats is taking a nap, it hasn't updated in 3 cycles. :blarg: