What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

sswilson

Staff member
Pulled a WU on one of them, and the other probably just hasn't "tried again" since they came back online. Unfortunately it's a 611 WU so it's a bit of a mixed blessing.......

_dangtx_

Banned
hey, if you were alone on an island for a while and a woman washed ashore(alive of course you necro readers :D ), would you mind if she didnt look like a top model? come on man! :D

lowfat

Staff member
I recently started doing bigadv smp unit again on my main machine, which is now paired w/ only a single GTX460 instead of the three I used to use. With three of them installed there was no way it could complete most bigadv units in time, because of the massive cpu usage the GPU clients take. But even w/ only a single GTX460 running 912/925 point units, I believe it is still having a rather large performance hit on the TPF of my SMP client.

I have two bigadv machines going at the moment. The one w/ the GTX460 has a 1GHz lead in its CPU clock, yet its TPF is nearly identical to the slower machine. The slower machine using a GPU2 client w/ a 8800GTS. So the GTX460 must have a huge impact on performance of the SMP client. As soon as I finish this WU I am going to stop the GPU client to see how much of an impact it has.

sswilson

Staff member
If you drop the -advmethods from the GPU3 client you may find you get better results as the 611 WUs don't seem to use as much in the way of CPU resources compared to the 9XX WUs. Aside from that, you may still find that the GPU client takes too much away from -bigadv for it to be worthwhile. I did my own testing on the SMP2 bonus WUs I run and it ends up being better PPD with both running, although from a PPD/Watt it probably isn't very efficient.

Have you tried running the -bigadv with a 7 core switch? Some folks seem to get better PPD if they leave one thread open for GPU usage.

lowfat

Staff member
O I don't doubt that having the GPU and SMP client provides better PPD still. No way an i7 920 could provide 43k ppd on its own. But I only lost about 10k ppd by ditching the two GTX460s. Which is saying something considering they pulled north of 15k each.

I think in the future I am going to throwing the GPU3 capable cards on systems not capable of bigadvs, like an AMD 4/6 core.

I also think the 912/925 WU's are standard WU's now. Even w/o the advmethods they get distributed out.

I will also give the SMP -7 a chance to see if it fairs any better.

Inik

Folding Team
My first bigadv is now done! I hope to see my points soon :)

I got another 6701 :blarg:

Inik

Folding Team
I got a 6070 last night, not bad!

I got 86k for my bigadv, is it okay?

Latest posts