What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
Well, i'm at #1 finally. Something I set out to do about a year and a bit ago (not quite sure anymore - i'm thinking Feb 2010?)

Unfortunately I won't be holding this title too long, as 4DoorGTZ is on my heels and i'll be taking the SR2s offline slowly - i'm going to be selling them off very shortly. I don't have any plans on rebuilding the farm really.. i've had my fun with the SR-2s.
I'll still fold on the home workstation and one at work or something, just don't have the time, money or motivation to keep running the systems at home.

If anyones interested in picking up an SR2 or two.. or three, shoot me a message.

4DoorGTZ

I'm actually going to be taking all my folding offline except King Quad, can't justify the ppd/watt when KQ does what it does for 560w.

stoanee

Folding Team
I'm actually going to be taking all my folding offline except King Quad, can't justify the ppd/watt when KQ does what it does for 560w.

Hey GTZ, I am looking at Supermicro mobos as well and there is a new one out for the 6100 series. Based on what you have now do you see any problems with the cpu socket layout on this newmobo:
Supermicro Products | Aplus | Motherboards | H8QGL-iF+

The board is a little less money but my concern is that there will be difficulties mounting heatsinks. Whaddaya think?

4DoorGTZ

yeah, looks like consumer/enthusiast heatsinks/fans are gonna be a problem on that new design. The proximity of those 2 cpu sockets will limit you to something very thin if its a tall standing heatsink, and then exhaust from 1 will be intake on the other if you find some that fit. PLUS, the orientation would mean that in a rackmount they would blow to the side where there is no exhaust/opening. In a tower with top vent/exhaust at least they would be blowing out of the case. Of course the smaller server heatsinks that rely on overall case airflow usually from loud high rpm server fans would fit no problem. My board Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8QGi+-F is spaced enough for me to use large noctua coolers, but to fit in a rackmount I had to turn the one at the edge of the board 90deg and it exhausts into the path of the other cpu's intake.

So it depends what you're gonna stick it into, if its going to run naked well then you're still gonna have to find thin heatsinks if they stand tall like enthusiast ones.

_dangtx_

Banned
cm has some,forgot the name,thin/compact ones, or perhaps good ole ultima 90's with the appropriate brackets?

those are pretty compact. just let go of me last one last week.

edit : tx3?

10e

I can confirm exactly what 4DoorGTZ says here.

Two out of my four heat sinks are the Noctua 92mm fan versions and I can only use the one at the edge of the board if I turn it 90 degrees. Blowing from front to back on this one in my HAF932 black doesn't fit.

yeah, looks like consumer/enthusiast heatsinks/fans are gonna be a problem on that new design. The proximity of those 2 cpu sockets will limit you to something very thin if its a tall standing heatsink, and then exhaust from 1 will be intake on the other if you find some that fit. PLUS, the orientation would mean that in a rackmount they would blow to the side where there is no exhaust/opening. In a tower with top vent/exhaust at least they would be blowing out of the case. Of course the smaller server heatsinks that rely on overall case airflow usually from loud high rpm server fans would fit no problem. My board Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8QGi+-F is spaced enough for me to use large noctua coolers, but to fit in a rackmount I had to turn the one at the edge of the board 90deg and it exhausts into the path of the other cpu's intake.

So it depends what you're gonna stick it into, if its going to run naked well then you're still gonna have to find thin heatsinks if they stand tall like enthusiast ones.

nckid4u

I may come back over to HWC to fold. You guys are moving up and I can add a helping hand to the effort. An extra 50K ppd cant hurt. Just need to get my GTX 460 swapped out to give me two again. Had one die (error 43). I modded a case for my dedicated folding rig and now one of my 460s died. I had watercooled them both and now have to go through the pita of swapping blocks, etc. The build is in my sig if you want to see.

Latest posts