What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

let's talk about coffee, part II - roasting

Prickly007

I've done 200+ roasts on a Hottop Basic. Sweetmarias.com being my pusher, though I tried a few other places.

To be perfectly frank, there is no decent Canadian supplier of green beans (as their shipping rates are utterly insane, details on the beans themselves are vague, at best, etc, etc). I've heard rumours some roasters will sell beans if you ask, but....

Normally, I have 20lbs of beans shipped to a package place Washington state for $8.99 US, plus a $2 package fee. Shipped to my house the same order would cost north of $90 US in shipping fees.

I gave up espresso months ago to try and ration my remaining supply, but I've missed this year's Guatemalan, pretty sure the border won't reopen in time to get any East African beans either. It's gone to be a rough 12+ months... I was even looking at buying pre-roasted beans. Oh, the humanity!

Mr. Friendly

that's a decent system...but it roasts so little coffee at a time and costs so much more than a Behmor that can do a full lb at a time. what made you go with it?

Prickly007

The one pound capacity is marketing, the Behmor is equivalent to cheap 15 bar espresso machines at Best Buy/London Drugs/etc. It is a badly designed*, complicated** piece of crap, which may or may not be prone to catching fire. Stir crazy/bread machine/dog food bowl roasters are all a better entry-level option.

* To remove the beans, you have to disassemble the machine when it is still hot. By contrast, on the Hottop, you push a button and the beans fall into the cooling tray; in other words, the same design as commercial production roasters.

** The control panel is a mixture of weights, programmes and profiles. On the KN-8828B-2K+, the heat is adjustable in 1% increments and the fan in 10% steps. My Hottop has, respectively, 10% and 25% steps.

If you really want to roast one pound batches, be prepared to spend $3,000 US minimum, plus shipping & taxes. The cheapest option is either the Aillio Bullet (electric) or Huky (gas), otherwise you'd be looking at commercial sample roasters.

Why did I chose the Hottop basic? See previous paragraph. :eek: It is easily the best (and I use the term loosely) value, has replaceable parts, upgradable, etc. It also produces coffee on par with any third wave roaster, once you learn how to roast (by sight, sound and smell).

Roasting coffee at home is even more niche than home espresso, hence the high price of equipment.

Mr. Friendly

actually...you can get into 1lb to 5lb coffee roasts for around $1000 CAD +/- a bit. all you need is a Broil King 4 burner BBQ (48K BTU model) which is $379 and then the appropriate drum / rotisserie kit from either RK Drums or CoffeeRoastersClub. :)

I'm looking into the rules / regs for roasting in my back yard and selling at the farmers market. :)

moocow

What kind of price / 1lb whole beans are you looking at? I would be interested in buying a bag from you to try but can't afford like $100 a bag.

Prickly007

Just because you can roast on a BBQ, doesn't mean you should!! Some of RK Drum's marketing claims are ludicrous, to put it politely.

If you haven't already, MrF, you need to spend some time at forum.homeroasters.org/forum/index.php and/or home-barista.com/home-roasting.

moocow, who was that directed at?

moocow

That was directed at Friendly since we are both in BC. But if someone make a decent roast that's not insanely expensive to buy & ship to Vancouver area, let me know. Of course please test it out first, I know coffee makes your plumbing smoother going in the morning but I prefer not to bust a valve.

Mr. Friendly

Just because you can roast on a BBQ, doesn't mean you should!! Some of RK Drum's marketing claims are ludicrous, to put it politely.

If you haven't already, MrF, you need to spend some time at forum.homeroasters.org/forum/index.php and/or home-barista.com/home-roasting.
I'll do that...but it's exactly the same thing. roasting in a drum. and extremely popular. on the roasting reddit I asked about drums and a lot of people posted with 10 years + of use on the same drum and grill.

big thing is not enough heat or too much heat, making the roasts hard, resulting in unsatisfactory roasts.