What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Lian Li O11 Air Mini power supply question

somecanadianguy

I like the looks of this case, but has anyone had issues with heat in the PSU area during really high cpu/gpu loads running for many hours? Looks like it sits behind where the gpu is. Could this not potentially transfer some heat to the gpu after a while? I run my gpu sometimes for 24hrs straight (machine learning stuff not mining) and the cpu also gets a fairly high load. Probably not an issue, but it's something I wonder about when I see the design and the thermal test results that are out there which show gpu temps a bit higher than they should be in a case with so much airflow.

Izerous

Folding Team
Does the PSU not directly breath outside like the standard sized 011D? The full sized one th intake fan is right on the side panel, and the exhaust is out the back so if th emini followed that same design the PSU & GPU heat have nothign to do with each other.

FreeKnight

I've got the O11 Mini, not the O11 Air, but the PSU division is the same, so it should equally apply.

You shouldn't have any issues with the PSU absorbing heat from the GPU or transferring heat to it. There's a sheet of metal and an airgap between them. The proper orientation for the PSU on an O11 Mini has the psu fan facing 'out' on the right hand side of the case, drawing fresh air from the right side. The vent goes out the back of the PSU to the outside of the case.

It's a non issue in the case. If you have concerning GPU temps I'd check your airflow configuration. You maybe set up your fans in a bad configuration or have created something of an 'air loop' in the case. If you put a couple intake fans at the front and a couple below the GPU, you should be able to brute force away any cooling issues though. I have 5 intakes and 4 exhausts in my current mini set up

somecanadianguy

Yes, but I'm thinking more about the psu warming up and transferring heat to the back of the motherboard where the gpu is located. SOmetimes after really long work sessions the psu can get warm in any case, but in this one that seems like it may be a bit of an issue.

FreeKnight

Airflow will always move to the path of least resistance so hot air will vent more out the back of the PSU than anything. Radiant and conduction heat in the case is minimal compared to heat related to airflow (convection).

The PSU has solid casing on the side that faces the MB tray. There's an airgap there (it's not tight against it in mine at least), plus the MB tray, plus another airgap from the standoffs before the MB itself.

Trust me, if you're having heat issues that's not the source. Your PSU might be undersized for what you're doing and running hot, but that's a totally separate issue, or your GPU might be running hot from bad/insufficient airflow or just a bad cooler design (or heavy OC).

somecanadianguy

Nothing is running hot because I haven't built the computer yet :) . Just something I wondered about this particular case running heavy loads on cpu/gpu for long hours.

FreeKnight

Nothing is running hot because I haven't built the computer yet :) . Just something I wondered about this particular case running heavy loads on cpu/gpu for long hours.
Ah I misread and assumed you had one already.

It's not an issue for this case. Traditional cases with the PSU sitting directly under the GPU could maybe affect it, but even then it's usually not a problem unless the PSU is so close to the GPU that the fans are choked on intake air (and I can't think of a recent case with that problem). PSUs are sealed enough that as long as they're installed properly in a well designed case you'll be fine*. I'd be more concerned about your intake fans having enough draw to get air to the GPU and CPU and making sure exhaust is pulled out of the case. Neither is a problem in the O11 series.

*notable exception for Gigabyte PSUs that like to explode....

Latest posts