What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic

Vittra

ROG shows CPU height >150mm
Dynamic shows CPU height >155mm

I saw the HWC video about the RoG having more space for a rear 120mm fan, but even in that vid it doesn't seem true, especially if the CPU height values are correct. The specs page for the ROG doesn't currently reference what fan sizes mount where, unlike the Dynamic page.

Visually it looks like a 92mm fan mount on that ROG case.

SugarJ

Staff member
The PC-011 as a case in the market doesn't make sense. It can't even mount a 165mm cooler like the D15/D15S and only accomodates a U12S at the most. It has limited appeal to those who aircool.

Stop spewing FUD. The PC-O11 Dynamic version was specifically designed with for watercooling (custom loop & AIO) in consultation with Der8bauer. And I can guarantee it will have more airflow than the choked off Evolv ATX front panel and top exhaust that I have on my desk.

Vittra

For context - the O11 Air is the exact same chassis, so it has the same CPU height restriction. HWC and Gamer's Nexus seem to be in agreement that the Dynamic is actually the better air cooling case between the two as well. This is centered around how restrictive the dust filtering mesh is.

I do agree with Dark Knight in this regard - a case this big should not compromise on CPU cooling height. Based on listed dimensions it's a 53.9L case. We can shift the argument from the O11 Dynamic to the O11 Air, but again.. it's the same chassis. My Cerberus-X is 23.3L and has the same effective height restriction. I say effective because while the 149mm Scythe Fuma Rev.B actually fits in the Cerberus-X, the spec is for 145mm and what the general expectation should be. With some research you'll find that tower coolers within the 150-155mm range are virtually non-existent, leaving the Fuma the only option until 158mm. The Silver Arrow ITX-R and be Quiet! Pure Rock are the only things I've come across that will fit, but neither will beat out the Fuma.

On that note - the Fuma Rev.B will outperform the current U12S too, So while it's easy to argue it's unnecessary for the case to be bigger, it's equally as easy to argue that a case over 50L doesn't really need to be saving a ~10mm at the cost of compatibility.

FreeKnight

Well kudos to Newegg I just got the case in. Ordered 2:00 in the afternoon with the free 'Domestic ground shipping' and it was at my door around 11:00 AM today :clap:. Was really expecting next week sometime. That's pretty impressive for free case shipping.

Probably won't get to swapping this weekend, but when I do I'll do a test fit with my Phanteks TC14PE (basically a noctua triple fan) and a Prolimatech Megashadow and see if the vertical clearance is tight as the spec lists or if there's actually a few more mills which has been the case with a few cases I owned in the past.

fubar

For context - the O11 Air is the exact same chassis, so it has the same CPU height restriction. HWC and Gamer's Nexus seem to be in agreement that the Dynamic is actually the better air cooling case between the two as well. This is centered around how restrictive the dust filtering mesh is.

I do agree with Dark Knight in this regard - a case this big should not compromise on CPU cooling height. Based on listed dimensions it's a 53.9L case. We can shift the argument from the O11 Dynamic to the O11 Air, but again.. it's the same chassis. My Cerberus-X is 23.3L and has the same effective height restriction. I say effective because while the 149mm Scythe Fuma Rev.B actually fits in the Cerberus-X, the spec is for 145mm and what the general expectation should be. With some research you'll find that tower coolers within the 150-155mm range are virtually non-existent, leaving the Fuma the only option until 158mm. The Silver Arrow ITX-R and be Quiet! Pure Rock are the only things I've come across that will fit, but neither will beat out the Fuma.

On that note - the Fuma Rev.B will outperform the current U12S too, So while it's easy to argue it's unnecessary for the case to be bigger, it's equally as easy to argue that a case over 50L doesn't really need to be saving a ~10mm at the cost of compatibility.
That may all be true but comparing a case that costs twice as much or more (with shipping) and is a custom-design case to this Lian Li is ridiculous. It doen't matter what its volume is or anything else.

fubar

Well kudos to Newegg I just got the case in. Ordered 2:00 in the afternoon with the free 'Domestic ground shipping' and it was at my door around 11:00 AM today :clap:. Was really expecting next week sometime. That's pretty impressive for free case shipping.

Probably won't get to swapping this weekend, but when I do I'll do a test fit with my Phanteks TC14PE (basically a noctua triple fan) and a Prolimatech Megashadow and see if the vertical clearance is tight as the spec lists or if there's actually a few more mills which has been the case with a few cases I owned in the past.
Did you compare it to anything else? I actually think the complaints here are valid but I would like to try a liquid cooling setup so the limitation doesn't really apply to me. I do read a lot of claims that it's better to use air cooling but I want to try a liquid cooling setup for a few reasons. I am comparing this case to the Meshify C which is cheaper and has limitations for liquid cooling, I think. The front has more options than the top, right? There was a review or test on this (Meshify) case and the author of the review recommended mounting a rad to the top instead of the front. Any comments on that?
I know the case topic here is the Lian Li so I suppose it doesn't matter where you mount the rad in that one? That is one of the advantages? I would be then inquiring about which AIO to go with - sorry about that. :biggrin:

FreeKnight

I'm agreeing with SugarJ again on this, for a case specifically marketed for AIO and loops, I don't see the extra width as a concern. That's like complaining your ferrari doesn't have enough cargo space and limits the pool of buyers. There's ample room on the market for a few cases that don't meet air tower height requirements. And while 10mm isn't a lot, this case is already pretty wide. Looking at it on my counter I can see why they wouldn't want to add more.

For the O11 Air, I'd agree with Vittra and Dark Knight more. In that case the extra width makes more sense as it's marketed for 'air cooling' and the tower height limitation isn't a wise decisions. Understandably Lian Li probably just didn't want to develop and spend the money on another frame at the time. Although since they did address that with the ROG variant, they should probably update the Air version based on that frame.

Did you compare it to anything else?
Do you mean "did I compare the O11 to any other cases?" Yeah, but only to a fairly narrow list of contenders. I hate the look of a front mesh panel so I avoid those. They're 'usually' good for airflow but it can be screwed up such as with the O11 Air where it's choked by filters. That meant I wasn't interested in the Meshify, H500M and a host of others.

For cases with a cleaner front panel, I was considering the Evolv X, but while it's better for airflow than the Evolv, it's not an amazing difference and I'm not crazy about the sliding plastic cable covers. The H700i could have worked, but I just liked the look and options of the Lian Li better.

I also wanted space for a one or two 3.5" and the 3 SSD drives I have currently but I don't want to see any of them in the main section, that removed a few be quiet options as well. Most other cases worthwhile have worse cooling than the O11 Dynamic anyway.

I know the case topic here is the Lian Li so I suppose it doesn't matter where you mount the rad in that one? That is one of the advantages? I would be then inquiring about which AIO to go with - sorry about that. :biggrin:
It would probably matter depending on how you placed your other fans. Gamer's Nexus review (on air admittedly) tested a number of setups and got quite a bit of variation in the results. That being said as long as you thought out your airflow, you can probably make a number of options work. I'd say doing something like bottom or side/front intake through an AIO that's 240 or 360 would still introduce lots of air and you could still put a fan or two on top to assist GPU heat exhaust and maintain positive air pressure.

Alternatively you could always side mount the AIO and put one intakes on the bottom to help the GPU and just let the heat rise out of the top naturally, though I suspect you'd want to remove the top filter.

Either way a big perk is that you have lots of AIO and loop options which is one of the benefits of the case. But like any case, there'll be tradeoffs so it's something you have to figure out what's best for you, and just because a case doesn't fit your particular needs it doesn't mean it's a good or bad case. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

fubar

You can just remove filters. In fact, some people have complained that the filters disrupt air flow and they just remove them. I am skeptical about front panels instead of mesh screens. I notice a lot of cases have it so where does the air flow go if you seal off the entire front of the case? Why have fans there at all?

Vittra

That may all be true but comparing a case that costs twice as much or more (with shipping) and is a custom-design case to this Lian Li is ridiculous. It doen't matter what its volume is or anything else.
It's incredibly easy to find mass produced cases that also follow the same trend.

The Fractal Define C and Meshify C are ~40L cases that fit air coolers up to 170mm in height. Same price range as the O11 Dynamic. It's just strange to share a chassis design across multiple SKUs and advertise them for markets they were never really designed for (O11 Air). At 54L this is a full tower - the dual chamber vs standard vertical design doesn't really matter. The additional 10-12mm to secure even 160mm towers would have probably solidified this as one of the best designs in recent years, not just for Lian Li but across the board.

I actually do really like this case btw, despite all evidence to the contrary :haha:.

fubar

It's incredibly easy to find mass produced cases that also follow the same trend.

The Fractal Define C and Meshify C are ~40L cases that fit air coolers up to 170mm in height. Same price range as the O11 Dynamic. It's just strange to share a chassis design across multiple SKUs and advertise them for markets they were never really designed for (O11 Air). At 54L this is a full tower - the dual chamber vs standard vertical design doesn't really matter. The additional 10-12mm to secure even 160mm towers would have probably solidified this as one of the best designs in recent years, not just for Lian Li but across the board.

I actually do really like this case btw, despite all evidence to the contrary :haha:.
Thanks for the info and I meant no disrespect. I just don't think it's fair to compare mainstream market cases to these niche custom made ones. The custom made ones by Dan A4 and NCase M1, to name two examples, are better than anything out there as far as I can tell - but, they are very expensive - maybe I should think it's worth it - if you keep the form factor, maybe it is. After all, the design changes or progression of changes seems slow - for mainstream cases? But, when you are building a system from scratch, it is a lot to add to the budget. If you are just upgrading a case, maybe it makes sense?

I didn't know the Lian Li was close to a full tower but I initially thought it looked kinda large - I even posted about my original perception previously, I believe.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter