What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Linus, question for you

fatburger

Hey Linus,

Is it better to get the latest drivers directly from chip manufacturers such as Intel, Realtek, and so on for the chipset drivers, onboard sound, and onboard NIC drivers, or should I install the latest posted on the motherboard manufacturer's website?

The reason I'm asking is because I got the latest from chip manufacturers and I'm having a SLI stuttering/freezing problem and am wondering if I get the ones on the Asus' website whether it will be better and possibly cure this SLI freezing that I have on the last M-COMs of Operation Metro in BF3.

Thanks!

Last edited:

supaflyx3

Always get from the manufacture if possible, they're always the latest. When it comes to the SLI stutter, all you can really do is make sure the cards arent overheating, seated correctly & the SLI bridge is fine, and wait for drivers to fix it.

fatburger

Which manufacturer? The chips manufacturers or the motherboard manufacturer? The motherboard manufacturer ones aren't the latest but maybe they are the best to use? I'd like to hear from Linus what he thinks as well.

Edit: For example on Asus' website there is only one chipset driver for the Asus Sabertooth P67 which is version 9.2.0.1015 but on the Intel's website the latest for the 6-series chipsets is version 9.​2.​0.​1030. So which one would be better to use in this case?

G

Which manufacturer? The chips manufacturers or the motherboard manufacturer? The motherboard manufacturer ones aren't the latest but maybe they are the best to use? I'd like to hear from Linus what he thinks as well.

Edit: For example on Asus' website there is only one chipset driver for the Asus Sabertooth P67 which is version 9.2.0.1015 but on the Intel's website the latest for the 6-series chipsets is version 9.​2.​0.​1030. So which one would be better to use in this case?
Grab the intel for the Sabertooth, working just fine on mine;)

Asus and the like will always be old

Download the latest drivers for your video card from nvidia. Same with Realtec ect.

AkG

Chipset > mobo

Mobo mfg'ers can be a tad slower.

fatburger

I think the problem might be coming from the fact that until now I didn't use "Run as Administrator" when I was installing the drivers. This time I did and the drivers installed a couple things that they usually don't install. I haven't reached the last set of M-COMs on Metro yet to test it but I will either today or tomorrow. Hopefully I have fixed this problem as otherwise the system runs great. With a single video card it ran smooth as butter.

Last edited:

fatburger

Seems like the problem is fixed. My team just went all the way to the last M-COMs and there was no stuttering/freezing this time. I would still like to hear where Linus gets his motherboard drivers though.

Last edited:
L

Lyserberg

Basically except the audio,and the 3rd Party USB controller,and any integrated graphical solution,i wouldn't mind just looking for any driver on the mobo manufacturer website,and look for the exceptions on thier manufacturer website.
Althought mobo manufacturers are doing their best to keep up with the drivers,PPL like Intel which publish a new driver whenever some bugs r detected are sometimes hard to go with :)
I have a mobo manufactured in 2008,they are no longer updating thier drivers,there's no Windows 7 Drivers list,and the latest BIOS is a beta BIOS (which supposebly should be replaced with the non-beta one soon)

Latest posts