What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Linus should a buy a MSI Big Bang Xpower?

gijsy123

hey linus,

Now I have an Asus P6T SE motherboard , and a Core i7 930 , And 12 gb kingston 1600 mhz (3 DIMMs)
And my GPU is a Asus 5870 Matrix Platium Edtion.
because I want to overclock, I wanted to buy a different motherboard, I thought of a MSI Big Bang Xpower.
or can you give me a better / more sensible option?
Thanks
greet Gijs:biggrin:

dandelioneater

It might be a waste of money to upgrade your buy a new x58 board simply for overclocking. It might be worthwhile to try sell your x58 system and get a 2600K/z68 combo (I'm sure some will be for sale in the next little while) or wait a little bit for SB-E to drop.

gijsy123

maybe. but the i7 930 is fast enough, and motherboard is getting problems he will not always load the USBs I have to sometimes wait 10 minutes for the sound card or keyboard or mouse to do it.
and I now overclock it as well . and for this reason to upgrade to socket 1155 seems on need and also because the CPU is still good.
thats why i search a new board:thumb:

keto

I can tell you that I and many other users had fabulous luck with the Gigabyte EX58-UD5. Well featured, overclocked like crazy, stable as a rock. Not sure what they go for new now, but they do fairly frequently pop up used as people are upgrading.

And you are right, though they use more power than current gen cpu's, the chip you have is still a great performer. That X58 chipset still performs exceedingly well given its age.

gijsy123

yes indeed I am agree.
but I have the review of Linus Tech Tips on the Big Bang Xpower MSi reconsidered and that seems a beast of a motherboard. also like the Asus Extreme RampageIII. but the MSI is cheaper and just as I read everywhere. what you seem wise Keto?
:biggrin:
greet

keto

I'd like to answer you well but I have no experience with MSI X58, so wrong of me to advise in this matter.

Linus

I'm very happy with this board overall to be honest, but I RARELY recommend upgrading a motherboard that is already functional.

You're USUALLY better off selling your current kit, then reinvesting the funds into a new platform to achieve better performance/newer feature set or whatever.

Personally I'm stuck on X58 (my trustly Big Bang Xpower) for my PC and P55 for my wife's PC because Windows Home Server V1 supposedly does not cooperate very well with EFI bios motherboards for backups, so I won't be able to upgrade my desktops unless I want to re-do my WHS with the new one and use RAID instead of drive pool (completely not an option at this point)...

Nothing but good things to say about the board though if you're dead set on buying a new motherboard.

gijsy123

Thanks for your comment Linus / time.:thumb:

but it's not like I do my i7 930 to be short because the CPU works very well:biggrin: and does what I want. The motherboard will cost € 199 here in the Netherlands. and if I buy new motherboard and processor is not money thrown away?

I am now on socket 1366, and if I upgrade it would be socket 2011 and that is very expensive.
If I buy a MSI Big Bang Xpower should i feel sorry then?? i should i get good overclocks?

Sincerely gijs (thanks for your comment / time):thumb:

Latest posts