What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Linux gaming

Shadowmeph

I am wondering if anyone has tried I think its called pop os Linux for gaming , the reason why I went back to windows years back was because of I couldn't play the games I wanted. people are saying that this can be done now in Linux , if so what about all of those windows versions of my games would I have to rebuy all of them for Linux?

lowfat

Staff member
If you can install Steam, they have their Proton thing that will emulate games under Wine to play them. Supposedly it is pretty decent. But it isn't perfect. There will be some games that won't work right.

Lysrin

If your life is boring, lost meaning and you need something to question your existence in sleepless nights - go for it. I have done it, several times... It's like "Windows NT" - NT stands for Nice Try.
I need to be able to add the laugh and the like emoji to this post so I will reply instead. Well said! (y)

I'd absolutely agree. If your focus is actually playing the games, don't do it. If you want a make-work project that might allow you to play some, go for it. It has improved over the last few years for sure. But as much of a Linux fan as I am for some things, PC gaming ain't one of them.

FreeKnight

if so what about all of those windows versions of my games would I have to rebuy all of them for Linux?
At least for Steam my understanding is your steam library is your steam library, regardless of OS, it's just a question of what will run.

I'd hold off on making serious attempts at Linux gaming until the Steam deck is out. I suspect once it's released there'll be a much bigger push for improving proton and general linux support.

Shadowmeph

that's what I was thinking ,
I just liked Linux allot more then windows sure there was some things I had issues with but one I remembered a few things or had questions answered it seemed to run nicer and quicker its just the gaming.
again I am niot sure how that would work if a person say Bought ARK survivor evolved with all the DLCs which was for me a but of money that it would let me redownload those games in Linux because ark actually if I remember right is a Linux game. but then I guess that it would run the others games in something like wine .
I think I will just download the proton linkup or what ever its called and install it on my old 2500K intel system and see how it runs , but then I will have to try and remember how to share files between that Linux os and my windows laptop and other PC and if I remember that correctly most people that the Linux forum I belong to years ago where a little bit of jerks when asking what to them is a simple answer to

moocow

if I remember that correctly most people that the Linux forum I belong to years ago where a little bit of jerks when asking what to them is a simple answer to

And that's the problem with Linux community. They don't understand WTF UI and UX means and if you have problems that's your own fault. Asking questions mean you haven't read the manual. However, they don't realize how poorly the manual is written. The Linux system structure is confusing as hell compare to Windows. At least Mac organized it better despite its Unix roots.

anabioz

And that's the problem with Linux community. They don't understand WTF UI and UX means and if you have problems that's your own fault. Asking questions mean you haven't read the manual. However, they don't realize how poorly the manual is written. The Linux system structure is confusing as hell compare to Windows. At least Mac organized it better despite its Unix roots.

I honestly do not fully agree with the above statement, documentation is generally the way to go, yes. However, a stale well written documentation becomes irrelevant if it is outdated, that means you need resources allocated to maintain it. That may not always be feasible, unfortunately.

If you need a gold standard on the manuals - you go to archlinux tutorials, don't you dare to disrespect their documentation :)

No, I don't use archlinux, I do respect their hard work and the awesome documentation that they write.

With regards to Linux GUI and UX, well, that's a touchy subject, generally Linux is not intended to be used as a desktop, it is a server OS and it gets the job done well. As for the Desktop Experience, well, it is work in progress, you have to respect that. But we are in 2021, terminal is still important and very relevant if you want to better understand how OS and applications operate.

I think in 2021, if you are not learning another language, learn programming - it is a good brain tease and simply healthy exercise for the mind. Once you learn that you will appreciate the hard work that goes into software development, when you do it properly of course.

moocow

As for the Desktop Experience, well, it is work in progress, you have to respect that. But we are in 2021, terminal is still important and very relevant if you want to better understand how OS and applications operate.

I think in 2021, if you are not learning another language, learn programming - it is a good brain tease and simply healthy exercise for the mind. Once you learn that you will appreciate the hard work that goes into software development, when you do it properly of course.
Here's the thing, the general user pool don't care about the any of that effort. They only care about using a tool to solve their problem. As someone starting in Product Management, even my company build a great thing that they can't sell because it doesn't solve people's problem.

This is the same problem Linux has with the general public. It's great as a server, that gets the job done (need a stable and somewhat free platform to host my stuff). As a general purpose OS, it fails hard. Asking people to bust out terminal whenever there's a need to solve problem is like asking drivers to go back to carb and choke equipped cars after we got EFI and MAF sensors. Only the niche nerds care.

May be Steam should pull an Apple and build a new OS on top of Unix but don't be dicks about the ecosystem. Windows 11 effectively using MacOS approach to hardware support.

Latest posts

Twitter