What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Linux gaming

anabioz

Here's the thing, the general user pool don't care about the any of that effort. They only care about using a tool to solve their problem. As someone starting in Product Management, even my company build a great thing that they can't sell because it doesn't solve people's problem.

This is the same problem Linux has with the general public. It's great as a server, that gets the job done (need a stable and somewhat free platform to host my stuff). As a general purpose OS, it fails hard. Asking people to bust out terminal whenever there's a need to solve problem is like asking drivers to go back to carb and choke equipped cars after we got EFI and MAF sensors. Only the niche nerds care.

May be Steam should pull an Apple and build a new OS on top of Unix but don't be dicks about the ecosystem. Windows 11 effectively using MacOS approach to hardware support.

I disagree on both statements, both linux and windows servers are solid solutions, depending on the use-case. There is always the right tool of the right job.

I used linux desktop for day-to-day and it hands 95% of what I need to get done. Now it could be that you haven't done enough troubleshooting on windows where you need to actually look at the guts, debug memory dumps and kernel crashes where that same terminal and low-level debugging actually saves the day.

Just because some might lack competence, does not mean that the OS is useless.

How is Windows 11 effectively using (Apple) Mac OS approach to hardware support? I don't think Microsoft is going to be manufacturing their own hardware and being the only one to sell it.

In either case, knowing technologies well takes time. Let's not start a flame war here and contribute something useful.

Shadowmeph

I honestly do not fully agree with the above statement, documentation is generally the way to go, yes. However, a stale well written documentation becomes irrelevant if it is outdated, that means you need resources allocated to maintain it. That may not always be feasible, unfortunately.

If you need a gold standard on the manuals - you go to archlinux tutorials, don't you dare to disrespect their documentation :)

No, I don't use archlinux, I do respect their hard work and the awesome documentation that they write.

With regards to Linux GUI and UX, well, that's a touchy subject, generally Linux is not intended to be used as a desktop, it is a server OS and it gets the job done well. As for the Desktop Experience, well, it is work in progress, you have to respect that. But we are in 2021, terminal is still important and very relevant if you want to better understand how OS and applications operate.

I think in 2021, if you are not learning another language, learn programming - it is a good brain tease and simply healthy exercise for the mind. Once you learn that you will appreciate the hard work that goes into software development, when you do it properly of course.
funy thing about arch I did it once built the os but then was never able to do it again hehe

Latest posts

Twitter