What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

linux NAS

grinder

this post transcends storage, networking and O/S. It's mostly a storage thread so I will start it here.

I want to build a nas out of hardware i already have. Ideally i want iSCSI support so I can get deep into ESXi testing, and be able to freely rebuild and maintain my servers as necessary without disrupting file sharing capability for media centers, etc.

Athlon X2 5000+
ASUS M2N-SLI
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Intel SRCSASBB8I Raid controller
(8) Seagate 1TB SATA hard drives
(2) intel pro 1000 nic cards with jumbo frame support

Tried: FreeNAS

This product is fail for hardware raid. I averaged 150 MB/sec when windows 2008 was on this rig, FreeNAS melted that down to 11 MB/sec.. brutal.

I've spend all weekend tweaking, time well wasted.

NEXT UP: Openfiler

grinder

this is a nas rig,

im running ESXi on real servers, PowerEdge r710's, etc, etc,

enaberif

this post transcends storage, networking and O/S. It's mostly a storage thread so I will start it here.

I want to build a nas out of hardware i already have. Ideally i want iSCSI support so I can get deep into ESXi testing, and be able to freely rebuild and maintain my servers as necessary without disrupting file sharing capability for media centers, etc.

Athlon X2 5000+
ASUS M2N-SLI
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Intel SRCSASBB8I Raid controller
(8) Seagate 1TB SATA hard drives
(2) intel pro 1000 nic cards with jumbo frame support

Tried: FreeNAS

This product is fail for hardware raid. I averaged 150 MB/sec when windows 2008 was on this rig, FreeNAS melted that down to 11 MB/sec.. brutal.

I've spend all weekend tweaking, time well wasted.

NEXT UP: Openfiler
what version of freenas did you use? v8 really sucks but v7 is good and I think you may not have setup something properly.

I tried openfiler but didn't like it.

And debian with samba isn't a nas.. its just a os with file sharing capabilities.

misterd

I use ESXi 4.0 with vSphere + iSCSI on Openfiler @ work. It's ok for what we were doing. However we just bought NCIX.com - Buy QNAP TS-859U-RP+ 8-BAY 2U Rackmount Turbo RAID NAS Server W/ iSCSI & Dual Redundant Power Supply - QNAP Systems Inc. - TS-859U-RP+-US - in Canada
to replace the ghetto boxes we had running Openfiler. More redundancy in power/drives/network and way more space (4x 2TB SATA vs 3x 200GB IDE) Until drives started failing these were rock solid and good for what we needed at the time.

[SIZE=-1]Kernel Version[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2.6.29.6-0.24.smp.gcc3.4.x86.i686 (SMP)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Distro Name[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Openfiler NAS/SAN [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Uptime[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]322 days 58 minutes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Current Users[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]0[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Load Averages[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]0.05 0.16 0.24[/SIZE]
That's from the one that didn't have any drives fail (yet)

If you have any questions let me know.

grinder

haha, i got the EXACT same qnas model on order to run my online backup server, should be in next week. But that's a different topic.

From what i've read FreeNAS is pretty much software raid (even if you have a hardware raid card), so i'm not going to waste more time on it, no matter what version.

So far openfiler looks promising (2.99 x86_64) but i get a kernel_panic every time I enable the intel pro 1000 NIC's. Out of the box I get way better transfer rates than freeNAS when it works; but still less than what I'm used to when this same hardware is running windows server 2008.

I will try openfiler 2.3 x86 next and hope i can aggregate 3 gigabit NIC's with jumbo frames (which is what i'm after)

What hardware were you running misterd?

supaflyx3

what version of freenas did you use? v8 really sucks but v7 is good and I think you may not have setup something properly.

I tried openfiler but didn't like it.

And debian with samba isn't a nas.. its just a os with file sharing capabilities.
Yes it is :l samba allows access to the server from the network... so it's a network attached storage device.

misterd

What hardware were you running misterd?
Warning - Laugh alert - Warning

Rackmountable P3 1266 with 512 SDRAM on an Asus CUSL2
3x 200GB IDE in Raid 5
1x 20/40GB IDE boot drive
Intel Pro 1000 Dual Port Gigabit PCI-X (not express)

I had 3 identical iSCSI datastores setup like this.

1. they're rackmountable with redundant PSU
2. I have 25+ of them around and for running Openfiler they were great
3. I need to prove to some beancounters that this would work so my budget was uber cheap

Oh side note, I did have FreeNAS running off of a USB stick. I'm gonna try the same with Openfiler.

BrainEater

but i get a kernel_panic every time I enable the intel pro 1000 NIC's.
Try running just 1 nic.

In the past I have had issues running multiple intel nics....for example , I could NEVER get an intel pro GT and an intel pro MT to work in the same box.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Twitter