What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Linux SMP folding using XP / Vista + VMware

sswilson

Staff member
The current state of SMP beta folding has a clear bias towards better PPD using the linux version.

These posts have been moved from another thread as they were partially off topic, and it's better to have them all in one spot.........

Let me know if you are interested in the vmware approach.

If he isn't, I am!!!! :)

Can't let you folks get away with those kinds of bonus' to PPD over my two dual cores......... :)

Last edited:

pscout

Fallen Folder
If he isn't, I am!!!! :)

Can't let you folks get away with those kinds of bonus' to PPD over my two dual cores......... :)

I knew i should have started a thread for that :doh:

I will dig out the PM's and post them to a thread.
3.0Charlie can check them to keep me honest :biggrin:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I knew i should have started a thread for that :doh:

:haha: Told you so last week!

3.0Charlie can check them to keep me honest :biggrin:

Yes Sir, will do.

Actually, it looks like a daunting task, but I can re-install vmware, Ubuntu 7.04 and have F@H running in about 1 hour. But I strongly suggest to have at least 2Gb of Ram. I tried that on my lappy with 1Gb with not much luck.

I will perform the same installation tonight on the E2140. Been running it for a week on the E6400, without even a hickup. Simply install vmware (found this info to install vmware: Folding@Home SMP Client with VMware & Ubuntu), then install Ubuntu with the .iso image, then install and run F@H.

Voila! That's it.

John

edit: since the version of FAH has been revised, the file name changed as follows:

wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz
tar xzvf FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz

edit2: Stanfor has changed the file location: see this post: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-smp-folding-using-xp-vmware-7.html#post23868

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, I've got the VMware server installed, and Ubuntu 64bit loaded on it, and I can DL the 64bit Linux SMP onto it, and I can get it untar'd.........

What I can't get it to do is to config..... I followed the directions on in the faq but it's not recognising the -configonly (or it's not recognising the fah6 -configonly).

any ideas? Am I doing something boneheaded?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Is Ubuntu installed, or are you running off the .iso image? If it is installed, don't forget to re-direct the CD-Rom to the HD, not the .iso image.

What's the message given in the Terminal window?

I don't use the -configonly tag (that is 'space'-configonly); I always start F@H right off the bat, since when started for the first time, it will ask you for configuration anyway.

Also, the .exe for me is ./fah5, not ./fah6. Unless that changed too yesterday.

John

pscout

Fallen Folder
config will be run when you start the client if there is no client.cfg in the directory.

And yes, the updated client is now fah6 for linux.

Don't forget to add -smp to your launch string.

pscout

Fallen Folder
My Ubuntu (7.04) setup notes

My Ubuntu (7.04) setup notes

My crib sheet for setting up a new ubuntu:

1. install ubuntu 7.04 at stock or known stable oc speeds. I usually install all the updates available before I continue and this will need a reboot. While it is downloading/installing, I often do some of the customizations below that don't require software installs (except for changing dhcp-static of course which will interrupt downloads).

2. add the userid you created to the root group. Doing this will let you move/delete any files including the fah files using the gui file manager without being blocked by permissions.
- system->administration->users and groups, click on manage groups, select root and click on properties.
I select both my id (pete) and root ... not sure if i need to add root here (security exposure?) but it has been working for me

3. i don't like to use dhcp so i setup a static ip for my network (192.168.0.xxx) point it to my gateway (192.168.02.) and point my dns at my gateway. Your network hardware/preferences may be different. It is best to avoid dhcp with the current beta SMP clients.

4. i like my dedicated folding rigs to login automatically so
- system->admin->login window-> security , select the 'enable automatic login' and select your id (pete for me) from the drop down list.

5. after any ubuntu updates in 1 are done and rebooted, time to setup sharing which i use as a shortcut to setup folding and will use later for fahmon monitoring and debugging etc.
system->administration->shared folders
The first time you go down this path you will be prompted to download and install sharing software ... since my main rig is wxp, i leave samba selected and deselect nfs.
Once it downloads and install samba then you can continue ( no reboot necessary)
add your home folder and deselect 'read only' checkbox so you can copy to this from another machine - leave read only if you prefer since it is good enuf for fahmon.
I also select general properties and change the domainname to 'WORKGROUP' since this is my default domain on my WXP rigs. If you WXP home then i expect the default MSHOME is good for you.

now open a terminal window: applications->accessories->terminal
in the terminal window type : 'sudo smbpasswd -a pete' <- use your userid not mine!
and then you will have to enter your password once for the sudo override to authenticate you, and then twice more for the smbpasswd command.

You should now be able to share files with all your other rigs. For convenience i use the same userid and password on all my wxp and linux installs. From my wxp rig i can access all the files in each rigs home directory without being prompted for password. To access my wxp rigs from a linux rig, i will still be prompted for a password, but i usually do all my inter-rig file moves from my wxp main rig. There is probably a way to avoid the pw prompt going from linux to wxp but i have not bothered to find out how.

6. to install software monitoring for the hardware, in a terminal window type the following:
(don't bother with this step if running linux under vmware - use windows monitoring instead)

- 'sudo apt-get install lm sensors' ... you can also do this via synaptic software manger under system, admin but command line is faster for me.
just follow all its prompts and change the last question's answer about updating your system with the generated output from no to yes.
- then in a terminal window type 'sudo sensor-detect'
after this runs, you will need to reboot before the gkrellm display application can access them for display.
- terminal window ... 'sudo apt-get install gkrellm' to install the display app.
- once gkrellm is installed you can launch it from applications->system tools and you can play with it to set up the display and monitored components the way you like it.

7. now to install folding. since the linux client (not the cores) is a 32 bit app, you need to install ia32-libs on any ubuntu level after 6.10 since it is not installed by default with the os.
- terminal window: 'sudo apt-get install ia32-libs' and hit enter to all the prompts. Alternatively install via gui with synaptic software manger if you prefer ... i find a command line easier/faster even for a lousy typist like me.

- for the rest of the folding install you will download the current linux 64 bit client for smp from stanford.folding.edu, downloads.

My shortcut here is I just copy the folding directory from another linux smp rig, delete the copied log files, work directory, queue.dat and machinedependant.dat files and i am ready to fold. I usually update the client.cfg directly with gedit and set local=0 so that my wu count in the logs is correct.

- i don't like the directory names used in the faq so i set up a pete/folding directory (and sometimes a folding2 directory for 2 instances).

I do set up a 'fold' shortcut to launch it with any switches as per the faq ... i use './fah6 -forceasm -verbosity 9 -smp'
I also setup a fold-pause shortcut when i want to run the client to finish the current wu and then stop so i can reconfigure, etc etc without needing to save any wu in progress. shortcut = './fah6 -forceasm -verbosity 9 -smp -pause'
You can create these shortcuts with gedit then use 'chmod +x ./fold' to make them executable.

8. start folding!

9. If installing under vwmare, you can copy the vm you just created above and give it another name. If you take this approach, get the vm/linux/fah setup the way you like it, then stop the vm and make a copy of the whole vm-xxx directory in the Virtual Machines folder. You can leave it here for another instance on a quad, or copy it to another rig you are going to install vmware on.

I will put some more notes together on how i configure my vm template to minimize the work on setting up a cloned vm for folding.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
7. now to install folding. since the linux client (not the cores) is a 32 bit app, you need to install ia32-libs on any ubuntu level after 6.10 since it is not installed by default with the os.
- terminal window: 'sudo apt-get install ia32-libs' and hit enter to all the prompts

Hopefully this was the issue I was having.... so we run 64bit linux, on a 32bit windows platform, and yet still run a 32bit SMP client??????

No wonder I'm confused....... :)

pscout

Fallen Folder
Hopefully this was the issue I was having.... so we run 64bit linux, on a 32bit windows platform, and yet still run a 32bit SMP client??????

No wonder I'm confused....... :)

The core's that do all the crunching work are 64 bit.

I too was confused a bit after I learned enuf to realize I was confused :biggrin:

Presumably the client will stay 32 bit since it needs to be able to run in a 32 bit os for the linux unicore WU's.
As long as it can launch mpiexec and the 64 bit cores for smp, it doesn't matter how well it performs since it does so little work.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, I've got it up and running, but wasn't able to get the FahMon to configure for me, nor did the Ubuntu fah .deb seem to work.

I'm also completely lost as to how to make a shortcut that would include the required switches....

any more hints, or should I now go and do my homework now that I'm officially running linux for something other than the coolness of a live distro..... :)

Ititial results have it running 2605 @ 10:55 vice the 12+ for 2653 under windoze.