What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Lisa Su confirms "Big Navi" in 2020

Lysrin

Hopefully this wasn't posted already (@Mr. Friendly :) ) but article and video has AMD confirming Big Navi release in 2020.
https://www.techradar.com/nz/news/amd-confirms-nvidia-killer-graphics-card-will-be-out-in-2020

As the article says, if the rumour about it being 30% faster than 2080 Ti is true, but then a 3080 Ti could be 50% faster than 2080 Ti (rumour but wowy) and also released in 2020, then it'll be very interesting to see how AMD and NVIDIA handle these releases.

They'll likely all be crazy expensive but still interesting to see what happens!

Edit: actually this might be old news? Checking more on the video, this interview was during CES, even though the article was just posted a few hours ago.

Last edited:

FreeKnight

I could possibly see the Fat Navi ( ;) ) being 30% faster than a 2080Ti, the number seemed unrealistic to me at first glance but considering the 2080 Ti averaged about 30-40% over the 1080 Ti at launch, it's possible. AMD's had a lot of time to try and get their high end shit together, maybe we'll see a Ryzen moment for the GPU sector if we're luck. That being said, I'll believe it when I see it. I sure wouldn't bet on it.

It's not exactly like they had Nvidia killers with Fiji or Navi. I hope I'm wrong because the GPU market desperately needs competition, even just two big players is a bit insufficient since they're only ever motivated to 'just be a little better than the other guy'.

Vittra

This has happened twice now. AMD targets an older gen's performance, meanwhile Nvidia's latest gen comes out prior making AMDs product completely irrelevant. The only way this will be unique is if AMD also targets the 2080 Ti $1200 USD MSRP pricepoint, because it's highly unlikely Nvidia will use these same pricepoints for the Ampere launch.

Lysrin

I'm cautiously optimistic for this one actually. I'm pretty firmly in the NVIDIA camp with my G-Sync monitor, but I would really like there to be a blow-for-blow AMD alternative at all price levels. And I think with their steady advance, and it can be argued actual overtake of Intel, on the CPU-side, I'm not counting them out on this one this time.

Here's hoping I don't have to be wrong on that!

moocow

Whatever happens I just hope GPU prices come back to normal.
Yeah that ain't going to happen when people keep buying them regardless. Don't forget the "I got to have the newest / shiniest thing regardless of money" crowd. Or the "I mine magic money that can't buy grocery but other people will surely buy it from me" crowd.

gingerbee

I really don't think AMD is trying to have the fastest cards at all cause they have learned that most people don't buy the 2080/ti versions the big money is in the middle range cards the 2070/2060 or 5700/XT. Produce where the money is not trying to the big king of cards any time soon but what do I know just hunch

Izerous

The effect on pricing is mostly what I look forward to. Look at what has happened to intel CPU prices 50% markdowns on some products because of how they were price gouging everyone. I managed to pre-order the 1080ti while it was still $999 and I thought I was crazy paying that. A month later and they were going for $1600 and still selling out in some locations. I had only paid $699 for one 6990 and $400 for the other and at the time they were still weeks old and most powerful thing on the market at the time thats only $1100 together.

We have been getting hosed on GPU and CPU prices long enough. The market needs to be competitive on both fronts for AMD