What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

List of SSI-MEB cases

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Just making a quick thread for everyone's info, since I'm already looking for case alternatives for B's rebuild.

Well, it ain't a big list, but feel free to reply if you know of others which can be added:

- Coolermaster Stacker 810: Full support without modification. Decent cooling but tbh it's pretty old and could be a lot better. Front max 3x 120, top 80, back 2x 120 (and that's all :( )
- Xigmatek Elysium: Very similar to the stacker, smaller rear exhaust fan (1x80 + 1x120 vs 2x 120 for the stacker), but it has a side panel 200mm fan and has a nice painted black interior.
- Rosewill Blackhawk / Blackhawk XT: Fantastic cooling options (2x Top 200mm fans, side panel for 9x 120 fans, places for 140 fans on both sides of the drive cages, etc) *BUT* must be modified to support MEB - have to drill and tap the top edge mounting holes for the board, and doing so will block some of the cable mgmt holes.
- Aerocool strike-x ? Unconfirmed. Can't find info. Modding likely necessary.
- CM HAF 932: tight fit. @Dead Things (C'mon, come back to the forum friendo) made his MEB fit by bending PSU brackets, unsure if the motherboard was unsupported, had standoffs added by drill&tap or if the case actually had mounting points already.
- Corsair 800D: possible to add standoffs if the top mounted fans aren't installed or installed externally.
- Corsair 1000D. Unconfirmed for now. Modding likely necessary. *Waiting to hear back from Corsair*
- Cougar Gemini S: seeking confirmation, looks like it could be possible with modding (drill and tap, add standoffs)
- NZXT Zero 2: mobo trays stops short on this old school case. Would need ultra tall standoffs modded in, or some at to extend the mobo tray upwards to get the too edge. Unlikely modding choice, but it *does* have the space.
- Antec 1200 v3: documentation is MIA. Some photos show standoff holes at the very top edge under the 200mm top exhaust fan. Not sure which version of the case could work. Modding might be necessary.

I'll update/expand upon this list as I continue to do research for B's upgrade, and will add links as well.

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
what does SSI-MEB mean?
Super Sucky to Install - for Masochist Enthusiast Builders ? :LOL:

Tbh I never really cared for the real acronym. But essentially it's as wide as Eatx (12") BUT it's 16 inches tall, 4 inches taller than Eatx, and it's all "above" the IO back panel. So it requires a case that has a LOT of extra space above where normal mobos end.

Dead Things

Mobo mostly supported in the HAF932 - just the top row of standoffs don't exist. I used rubber spacers that I glued to the mobo tray instead. Many years of use and heat later, those spacers are still in place.

edit - You'll also like this. It's a SM H8QGI-F in a cheapo $70 Rosewill R4000:

Attachments

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Mobo mostly supported in the HAF932 - just the top row of standoffs don't exist. I used rubber spacers that I glued to the mobo tray instead. Many years of use and heat later, those spacers are still in place.

edit - You'll also like this. It's a SM H8QGI-F in a cheapo $70 Rosewill R4000:

Heeeyyyyy DT! Just like of times eh? I'd add the Rosewill server case, but I think most would be more interested in standard cases with the less mods required the better?

What do you think of the other cases btw? I'm leaning towards the Blackhawk for B, because I'd love to see a case with multiple 200mm fans, doing the job of smaller fans easily write being quieter. Thoughts?

Dead Things

Well, I doubt you'll ever find a Ziggy Elysium. The HAF932, despite having to bend a couple flaps is actually, truly ideal because of the great airflow. The later HAF, though, is a no-go - so maybe the HAF932 is hard to find now too. The Stacker you know all about. The rest I honestly don't know.

edit - FYI, only mod required for the R4000 was to transplant the PSU into the 5.25" bays. Other than that, all you need is a willingness to work with tight margins.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Updated with a tiny bit more info I was able to find in several different small forums.

... It's not a big list, unfortunately. So I've started emailing several case makers directly about it, will reply back with any info i can get from them.

Izerous

Folding Team
I have a semi-modded 800D that I pulled everything out of to put into a 011-Dynamic. If there are any kind of specific measurements I can take for you to validate what would be needed you can give me a list and I can try to go over it.

Entz

what does SSI-MEB mean?
I think that is the hospital code for the treatment you get after trying to move one of these.

If you can tap your own standoff locations SSI MEB and EATX are the same size, they only differ by a set of 3 standoffs in the middle. Minor change but may open more.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I have a semi-modded 800D that I pulled everything out of to put into a 011-Dynamic. If there are any kind of specific measurements I can take for you to validate what would be needed you can give me a list and I can try to go over it.
It's "16.2"x13" (411x330mm)" and that's very kind of you. From what I've seen though, while the 800/1000D cases do have extra space above the IO panel, it's just an empty void without and mobo tray, made so that thick radiators in push/pull don't hit the top edge of standard mobos, eatx and smaller.

I think that is the hospital code for the treatment you get after trying to move one of these.

If you can tap your own standoff locations SSI MEB and EATX are the same size, they only differ by a set of 3 standoffs in the middle. Minor change but may open more.
Actually it isn't. While a couple of case makers will mistakenly use eatx to describe SSI-MEB, they're not the same. Max height is the difference:
EATX= 12x13
SSI-MEB= 16x13
It's the extra four inches of motherboard "above" the IO panel (when looking at a standard orientation case from the back) that is the problem. There are some cases with space there, but most don't even extend the motherboard tray up that high, so there's nowhere to drill and tap to put the standoffs.

Latest posts

Twitter