What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Load balancing

Varroa

Also, the amount of connections utorrent or any other bittorret program opens with also bring most consumer routers to their knees. Limit the # of connections (10-20 max) or get yourself a better router (pfsense, microtik, etc). I can run any # of torrents on one of these routers and it doesn't affect anything else.

LarkStarr

I have uTorrent running on a single PC (which happens to be my file server as well). The upload is capped at 80% during hours that I'm awake and full-speed when I'm not.

As such, I applied QoS to the MAC address of my server to place any and all WAN traffic into "bulk" priority (DD-WRT). Seems to work quite effectively. If I start downloading from HTTP on my PC, I can see the torrents drop off in speed. This works perfectly since the only WAN traffic on it is torrents.
that's fine and all, now try doing that across more then one computer. also, use that computer for more then torrenting purposes. it becomes more difficult then.

Fudd Rucker

I have tried all the suggestions before posting here, it seems that there seems to be an issue with bandwidth allocation and latency over my network regarless of router. Case and point - Downloading a torrent , max connection is 2 globally. Have it capped at 1kb up /1kb and it still can take up to 3 to 4 min to load webpages while downloading at the insane rate of 1kbps.

edit: forgot to mention, this issue doesnt seem to present itself when downloading via HTTP, only seems to be bittorrent and certain video streaming that seems to cause this problem.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I'd blame it on the modem/router combo then.

Any way you can talk to your ISP and get a pure modem? Then buy your own router.