What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Local account on windows 10?

clshades

Made a family account for my son through the windows management system online. Complete joke, nightmare to navigate. All I want d to do was change his password.

It would just be easier to do it locally.

Is it still possible to make a local account on windows 10 without an email sign in?

anabioz

During the initial setup, unplug the network cable.

To add a local user:
start -> cmd (right click run as admin)

# add local user clshades with password [email protected]:
net user clshades [email protected] /add

# add to local admin group:
net localgroup administrators clshades /add

# logoff
logoff

--

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
If you want to do it in the GUI, you can also pull up "Computer Management" then System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users, then right click, New User.

Up to you if you want to add it to the Administrators group as well afterwards, generally I would say no if it's for a family member and you already have an "admin" account.

anabioz

If you want to do it in the GUI, you can also pull up "Computer Management" then System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users, then right click, New User.

Up to you if you want to add it to the Administrators group as well afterwards, generally I would say no if it's for a family member and you already have an "admin" account.

Is it also available on the non-pro version? If I recall there were some restrictions imposed (but why?)) .

JD

Staff member
Is it also available on the non-pro version? If I recall there were some restrictions imposed (but why?)) .
I generally only use Pro & Enterprise, so I guess my information is one-sided...

I built a new Win10 Home VM though, the [email protected] with "email" for password still works to get to the local account creation during OOBE, if somebody owns that account it claimed it was locked out :ROFLMAO:

I do see they removed the "Local Users and Groups" from Computer Management. Even opening MMC and adding the snapin gives an error saying it's not supported:

1611018453168.png

But going through the Windows settings still seems to have the option. You need to click "I don't have this person's sign-in information" and then "Add a user without a Microsoft account" which creates a local account.

1611018564811.png

1611018622384.png

That's a pretty odd thing to restrict/remove though. Doesn't make much sense at all nor do I really see how this improves security or anything. Considering it still lets you do "net user administrator 123" and "net user administrator /active:yes", then you can login as RID-500... if anything they should have blocked/removed the net command :rolleyes:

Anyways, interesting none the less. Guess I'll keep this Win10 Home VM around for future comparisons!

anabioz

I generally only use Pro & Enterprise, so I guess my information is one-sided...

I built a new Win10 Home VM though, the [email protected] with "email" for password still works to get to the local account creation during OOBE, if somebody owns that account it claimed it was locked out :ROFLMAO:

I do see they removed the "Local Users and Groups" from Computer Management. Even opening MMC and adding the snapin gives an error saying it's not supported:

View attachment 30484

But going through the Windows settings still seems to have the option. You need to click "I don't have this person's sign-in information" and then "Add a user without a Microsoft account" which creates a local account.

View attachment 30485

View attachment 30486

That's a pretty odd thing to restrict/remove though. Doesn't make much sense at all nor do I really see how this improves security or anything. Considering it still lets you do "net user administrator 123" and "net user administrator /active:yes", then you can login as RID-500... if anything they should have blocked/removed the net command :rolleyes:

Anyways, interesting none the less. Guess I'll keep this Win10 Home VM around for future comparisons!

Want to learn something even more interesting?

SHIFT+F10 brings up hidden command prompt which you can also use to navigate during the initial setup ;)

gingerbee

On my initial setup I had the internet plugged in and all I had to do was create an offline account when it asked for the e-mail address this was with 20H2 just the other day

Latest posts

Twitter