What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Look out 4 conferences next season

Arinoth

Staff member
Dammit thorn, you beat me to it. For those who don't want to visit the link, here is the new proposed conferences. Looks like they are trying to make it a higher possibility for the Leafs to actually make it into the playoffs within this century/decade.

56404edd8cda4e35f.jpg

56404edd8cda4e35f.jpg

monkey_mo

the inclusion of the 2 fla teams in the new northeast conference is weird, but if you think about it, it has to be for attendance in those 2 markets, whenever any of the 7cdn teams play in FLA state you see huge number of cdn fans at the game, i guess the nhl is maybe trying to capitalize on those fans to boost the attendance numbers in those 2 markets, also boston and buffalo is more of a draw than carolina. But besides that the conferences are good, i just wish they would do re-ceeding for playoffs after the quarter finals and not after the semi finals.

Anyone hoping they bring back the old smythe, norris divisions :D. It be nice to see some Smythe conference banners in rogers arena (obvs with the stanley cup banner :D)

Galcobar

Four conferences, but when you look at it, the two western conferences are, um, the Western Conference plus Winnipeg, and the eastern pair are the Eastern Conference minus Winnipeg. Not exactly the great realignment -- New York teams will still spend about ten days a season in hotel rooms.

Nice of the governors to give the eastern teams better playoff odds (4/7 instead of 4/8), but restricting entry based on division leaves a great potential for bad divisions to send teams which, by points, shouldn't get in. Anyone looked at what the playoff seedings would have been last year if this were the playoff format?

Okay, little bored, so I just ran it through comparing last years standings to the new four-conference model. Last year, LA got into the playoffs with 98 points, as the seventh seed. With the current setup, Dallas would have gotten into the playoffs with 95 points, behind Chicago which entered with 97 points as the eighth seed.

Eastern conference playoff teams wouldn't change, but then none of their (now) six non-playoff teams except Carolina had 85 points (Carolina had 91). The eight non-playoff teams in the western conferences included four teams above 85 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desiato

Okay, little bored, so I just ran it through comparing last years standings to the new four-conference model. Last year, LA got into the playoffs with 98 points, as the seventh seed. With the current setup, Dallas would have gotten into the playoffs with 95 points, behind Chicago which entered with 97 points as the eighth seed.

Eastern conference playoff teams wouldn't change, but then none of their (now) six non-playoff teams except Carolina had 85 points (Carolina had 91). The eight non-playoff teams in the western conferences included four teams above 85 points.

I did the same with this season, as posted elsewhere:

Based on some quick calculations, if current team point totals were projected to 82 games: St. Louis would be ranked 7th in the Western Conference with 98 points and Ottawa would be ranked 8th in the East with 88 points. Ranked with the proposed alignment, each team would be out of the playoffs in favour of 9th seeds LA (95) and Washington (85).

The proposed alignment -- which the NHLPA must also agree to -- has the potential to be much less fair than the current alignment. It's not inconceivable that up to 3-4 strong teams in strong conferences from both the east and west could fail to make the playoffs in the same season. This used to happen prior to the major realignment of the 90s.

In 08-09, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Washington and Carolina were six of the eight teams in the Eastern Conference Playoffs; this would be impossible in the proposed realignment, regardless of how well each team played.

In 07-08, Washington was the only team in the Southeast to make the playoffs; if a new conference plays as poorly as that division (7 teams vs 5) then 3-4 bad teams could be in the playoffs -- and one would advance by defeating the other bad teams.

I could really go on and on. I don't like the proposed realignment at all.

Last edited:

monkey_mo

apparently there could be a crossover put into play, i remember on tsn ( i believe a week and a half ago) darren dregger was told that this was on the table, but it was to due with the unfairness of the 8 team conferences where each team has greater odds to miss the playoffs, so potentially a team from the 8 team conference would crossover into the 7 team conference but i haven't heard any news of this since then.

ipaine

Frankly I don't like it. I'd expand on that but it is just too early and I can't think straight.

It should be 2 conferences, and then 4 divisions if they wanted to break it up like this. Each of these proposed conferences should be divisions then the two western into one conference and the two east into another, somewhat like it is now. Then playoffs would be division semis, division finals, conference finals, and Stanley cup final. Hmmm, I think that is how it was back in the day with the Smythe, Norris, etc.

Ok after looking at it a bit more I think maybe it is not so bad, hell even better than it was. I like that each team will face each other team once at home and once away, that is a good thing. Really they just need to call them divisions and not conferences, and for bleep sakes, bring back the proper names, Smythe, Norris, Patrick, and Adams. Then just rename the two conferences back to the Campbell Conference and Wales Conference. Then we will have done a big circle and be back to the big division rivalries of the 80s.

One more comment I have seen repeated elsewhere and I agree with is that the west does get screwed in that it is statistically harder to get into the playoffs. With the new format the two western conferences have a 50% (4/8) chance of getting in, while the eastern ones have a 57% (4/7) chance of getting in. So the only way to even this up is to get another two eastern teams or just move one western team to the east side and then take the top 8 on each side, like now.

Last edited:

Arinoth

Staff member
All of you who are running the numbers have to remember that the teams would have slightly different schedules, which would skew what their records would be slightly. They would be facing the same teams a bit more, potentially allowing them to gain or lose more points based on their performance against a specific rival. These changes in points would cause the standings to look different as well. Take for example that the Leafs had to play Boston a few more times that they already do, say they play how they have been this year, those extra games would cause the Leafs to lose say 4-6 points, which they may have gotten against other teams they traditionally do better against in the regular season. Factor this into every team and your points from the old conferences are now different then with the new conferences.

Also, maybe it was planned this way for the eventual move of Phoenix to eastern time zone canada so that each conference has one with 7 and one with 8 that rotates each year, averaging out the odds of getting into the playoffs?

ipaine

Also, maybe it was planned this way for the eventual move of Phoenix to eastern time zone canada so that each conference has one with 7 and one with 8 that rotates each year, averaging out the odds of getting into the playoffs?

But remember on this system that would not even out the odds. It would just shift the 50% to a different conference. Like for example say Phoenix moved from conference A over to conference, it just means that conference would go from 50% to 57% chance of getting in, while conference C would go from 57% down to 50%. Unless there are an even number of teams in each conference it will be different odds.

Arinoth

Staff member
Yes, but if one year a team has 50% chance, next year 57%, then 50%, it may not average out to exactly 50%, but every team would end up with a 53.5%, rather then some teams only having a 50% and others stuck with the 57%.

Latest posts

Twitter