What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looking for an LGA775 motherboard

doup93

I'm looking at building a secondary rig and would like to have your opinion on integrated graphics boards.

The rig will be using an Intel CPU so I'm limited to G3X or G4X chipsets basically. Is G4X worth going to? Should I rather get a P3X or P4X and "real" vid card? I want it to be as cheap as possible.

The rig will be used for casual stuff (email, internet, etc). No gaming at all on that rig.

Thanks all

sswilson

Staff member
Do you already have the CPU?

In all honesty, if you're absolutely sure that the use is going to be "casual" (and not going to change down the line) just about any integrated graphics board will do the trick.

Do you already have any hardware to go with it, or are you building from the bottom up? How about OS.... do you have one to put on it, or are you planning on purchasing one?

If you're building from the bottom up and need everything including monitor / OS it's very hard to build a low end general use machine for less money than it costs to get a pre-built one on sale at one of the big box retailers. (as much as it pains me to say it.... :) ).

doup93

Some parts already

I already have the cpu as well as the RAM (2x1 GB DDR2 800) as well as hard disk, DVD/RW and casing with PSU so all I'm missing is a board.

sswilson

Staff member

sswilson

Staff member
Looks like it should be a decent board, but if you're willing to pay that much, you might want to consider an extra $20 - $30 for a board / discrete video card combo.

doup93

Options

What would be good options then?

For discrete graphic, I was thinking either a GeForce 8400GS or a Radeon 3450.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm running one of the sapphire 3450s and it works well, but as a passively cooled card it does get quite hot.

Folks around here have had a lot of luck with these gigabyte P35 boards.... NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - GA-EP35-DS3L In Canada. .

This 3450 ($40) appears to offer HDMI output as well as DVI-D and standard VGA outputs. NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 3450 Fanless 600MHZ 256MB 800MHZ DDR2 PCI-E HDMI Video Card - AX3450 256MD2-H In Canada.

That would bring the total after taxes to pretty well $150

doup93