What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looking for new monitor

kojicolnair

Currently I have a (very cheap) 22" widescreen monitor and I am looking for one more in the 30"+ range. I have a 8800gtx video card, 2gb ram and E6850 processor so would I experience a major slowdown on games with this setup and a large resolution monitor? Oh and as for price range, anything below 1500$ or so.

JD

Staff member
Currently I have a (very cheap) 22" widescreen monitor and I am looking for one more in the 30"+ range. I have a 8800gtx video card, 2gb ram and E6850 processor so would I experience a major slowdown on games with this setup and a large resolution monitor? Oh and as for price range, anything below 1500$ or so.
A 30" monitor will run 2560x1600. If your going to be gaming at that resolution (you should else it won't look very good), I'd think you need SLI 8800GTXs to play newer games on high settings, possibly 4GB of RAM (then you'd need a 64bit OS), and perhaps overclock the CPU. You won't be running Crysis on high settings regardless. Tri-8800Ultras couldn't even do it all that well.

The best is probably the Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC. It's only $1275 right now.

kojicolnair

Fine with me as I didn't much care for crysis. I'll probably give it a second go later though. That one looks interesting, kinda funny that it seems to have a '9-in-2 card reader' built in, at least the tech specs say. Any good 32" ones around?

JD

Staff member
Fine with me as I didn't much care for crysis. I'll probably give it a second go later though. That one looks interesting, kinda funny that it seems to have a '9-in-2 card reader' built in, at least the tech specs say. Any good 32" ones around?
Yeah it does have a card reader built in. 30" is the max I've seen for monitors though. Anything larger and you move into TV territory. You could get a 1080p TV (1920x1080), but you'd probably have to sit further back to see it so that it's clear and crisp.

Twitter