What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

looking for some input on 5.1 headsets

Duckman

So my bday is commin up and i want to treat myself with a new pair of 5.1 headphones, specifically for GAMING. Also i would like to be able to use it on my PS3 as well. Right now i have an altec lansing 2.1 connected to my ps3 (via composite cables to aux input on the speakers remote controle) and pc.

my price point is $150, 200 if its justifiable.

currently i have a sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio sound card. Now i know some headsets offer a usb soundcard that comes with it, i would consider this if only my soundcard wasnt up to snuff to emulate 5.1/7.1, but im pretty sure it is.

ive looked at the corsair hs1s, Turtle Beach EarForce DPX 21, RAZER Megalodon 7.1, and some creatives, steelseries, and trittons, and even reading thro many reviews of each, im still not sure which 1s to get.

I play mostly FPS, l4d2, bfbc2 (who else is excited for BF3?) arma 2 so positioning is important. I also play Rift as well as alot of different rpgs (looking forward to Witcher 2!!!!) so audio quality is important to me too. My gaming is split between my pc and ps3, as much as i am a pc gamer, some games on the ps3 are fantastic (uncharted, killzone etc) therefore i would like to use these headsets for my ps3 as well.

in conclusion - price 150 (200 maybe), PC and PS3 compatible, preferably not usb

i dont know enough to make a decision on my own, so i kindly ask some fellow canucks for some help...thx

Jackquelegs

One advice for Psyko..Don't

The turtle beach you listed should be okay, as well check out the Tritton AX720 which seems to be a popular choice amongst console gamers.

Don't bother with the HS1 or the megalodon.

Slik

One advice for Psyko..Don't

The turtle beach you listed should be okay, as well check out the Tritton AX720 which seems to be a popular choice amongst console gamers.

Don't bother with the HS1 or the megalodon.
Don't be too quick in knocking Psyko. They have two new models that will be released any day now. Psyko Carbon and Krypton have UPGRADED and larger speakers as well as new hardware in general. They are also XBOX etc. friendly. They listened to thier customers and reviewers to where the new Carbon series should satisfy users for music,etc. I still say it's worth a close look. I have the Turtle Beach,Tritton and Roccat sets and they don't come even CLOSE to Psyko. Not only that,they have lowered the price. Psyko Carbon $200. Psyko Krypton $80. They finally have a price range that is competative with all other 5.1 analog headphones.

Last edited:

Jackquelegs

Don't be too quick in knocking Psyko. They have two new models that will be released any day now. Psyko Carbon and Krypton have UPGRADED and larger speakers as well as new hardware in general. They are also XBOX etc. friendly. They listened to thier customers and reviewers to where the new Carbon series should satisfy users for music,etc. I still say it's worth a close look. I have the Turtle Beach,Tritton and Roccat sets and they don't come even CLOSE to Psyko. Not only that,they have lowered the price. Psyko Carbon $200. Psyko Krypton $80. They finally have a price range that is competative with all other 5.1 analog headphones.

Remember the hype around the original Psyko 5.1? Yeah that burst like a bubble. We'll see when the reviews come out, but again, they got it completely wrong the first time in sound quality, so I don't expect them to make the jump to superstardom in one generation. It's just logic

Yeah I'm sorry, do read that the OP wants SOUND QUALITY, and from your previous posts on the Psykos, I can't say I can confide in your opinion :bleh:

Stock

Really, if you're looking for headphones and NOT headsets (mic attachment), look into picking up a pair of used Sennheiser HD 555's or ATH-AD700's. These two should be easier to find in Canada for under $100. The HD 555's are more of an all around pair, whereas the AD700's have anemic bass BUT have one of the widest soundstage for FPS games. If your budget can stretch by $50, you can sometimes find used Beyer DT880 or 990.

These are stereo suggestions of course, but if you have the right sound card/equipment there's plenty of reviews indicating that Dolby Virtual works all the same.

Jackquelegs

Really, if you're looking for headphones and NOT headsets (mic attachment), look into picking up a pair of used Sennheiser HD 555's or ATH-AD700's. These two should be easier to find in Canada for under $100. The HD 555's are more of an all around pair, whereas the AD700's have anemic bass BUT have one of the widest soundstage for FPS games. If your budget can stretch by $50, you can sometimes find used Beyer DT880 or 990.

These are stereo suggestions of course, but if you have the right sound card/equipment there's plenty of reviews indicating that Dolby Virtual works all the same.

It's hard to suggest stereo cans when the OP asks for a 5.1 set, but those are two good choices. Don't bother with the DT990, they're not worth the money compared to the DT880 600ohm..Mmm T1 drivers..drool..

OR the new Fischer Audio FA-011 ..I'm picking up a pair when it's in stock, and from the current reviews, it's fantastic for gaming

Although you will need at least a basic amp set up for it...which will set you back another 120$ at least.

Slik

Remember the hype around the original Psyko 5.1? Yeah that burst like a bubble. We'll see when the reviews come out, but again, they got it completely wrong the first time in sound quality, so I don't expect them to make the jump to superstardom in one generation. It's just logic

Yeah I'm sorry, do read that the OP wants SOUND QUALITY, and from your previous posts on the Psykos, I can't say I can confide in your opinion :bleh:
I don't think they got it wrong at all. Psykos were designed for 5.1 analog GAMING headphones and as such they hit the nail on the head. They deliver the best directional surround sound of ANY other 5.1 set available. Like most new technology, the new Carbon series can only be better as is the case here. New upgraded and larger speakers and other hardware improvements. When I recieve my set I will let all know what I honestly feel. Remember,I never once said the Psykos are the best headphones. I said the Psykos are the BEST 5.1 analog headphones. People pay the same kind of money for USB sets. Give Psyko it's just due. The best damn 5.1 gaming headphones available today.

AkG

The psyko's were a good idea...that had piss poor implementation.
Even if you got the sound tweaked it was STILL like wearing a frickin motorcycle helmet. Way to heavy with all that weight right on TOP of your head. Didnt like the orginals, but will withhold judgment on the newer models UNTIL unbiased reviews come out.

'nother vote for the Tritons...IF you have to go the 5.1 route instead of good stereo cans + mic route.

LordPraetox

I've heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) that audio codecs create synthetic surround sound in these 5.1 headphones, since they have only two internal speakers. If that's the case, I'd just use the surround emulation on your sound card and get some sweet sounding stereo cans. My personal favorites for the moment are the Razer Orca headphones, and the Carcharias are basically the same headset with a mic added.