What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

looking for SSD & HDD hybrid caching advise

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
a friend has a 5800X on an Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI board and found he quickly ate up his 1TB SSD. I told him about the SSD + HDD caching tech and said I would look into it more, about when it's best used and whether there are any capacity limitations / concerns one should keep in mind.

in this case, it'll be for OS / software / games and then a bunch of file storage...family video / pictures being worked on.

is that use case suitable and would a 1TB or 2TB SSD plus 4TB HDD be reasonable?

crazyea

My advice.

SSD for OS and a couple of the games he cares for or played the most.

HD like a wd black 10TB or similar for overflow games and misc storage.

I know it’s not what you asked but it’s how I do it and I don’t really notice the difference all that much unless I’m sitting there timing load times.

gingerbee

I have heard that once you set up storeMI you cant just separate the drives I don't know if it's still that way but that is what people bitched about once you start your kinda stuck that way. again I don't this for a fact just going on what I have heard

I goatta second the way crazyea was saying to handle it I do something similar, I use a nvme=boot,2-4TB nvme=game drive, HDD= everything else

Izerous

Folding Team
Once i set up a NAS this whole conversation i kept having about how many drive how to optimize storage etc become immediately irrelevant and I don't regret that decision at all. Move all the raw file storage right off the desktop. Then it can be accessed via a phone or anything else in the home network. Just don't publicly expose them.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Once i set up a NAS this whole conversation i kept having about how many drive how to optimize storage etc become immediately irrelevant and I don't regret that decision at all. Move all the raw file storage right off the desktop. Then it can be accessed via a phone or anything else in the home network. Just don't publicly expose them.
Or better yet, use the NAS to set up a VPN and securely access those same files anywhere.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Or better yet, use the NAS to set up a VPN and securely access those same files anywhere.
primary issue is cost of big SSD and how quickly he runs out of space on the affordable ones to install games. secondary is the desire to have some capacity for the reasons I commented on.

how much does game loading bog down when they're installed on a HDD instead of an SSD?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
you know im a advocate for primocache lol i use it so much and have bought so many licenses for builds. i like that it can fix the flaws of dram-less ssds and even negate issues of qlc based ssds. iv used it on terrible smr drives and it works well.

Latest posts