What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looking to buy a new headset again, don't want to keep wasting money

Keywork

Been using a pair of Sennheiser 595's and a zalman mic for years now. Easily the most comfortable headphones I have EVER worn, and the mic is actually VERY good for the price.

Damnyoutaco

I'm surprised that no one recommended JVC Harx 900, which can be had for around 50 USD. It has similar sound signature to that of ATH AD900. If you want to go cheaper, JVC Harx 700 cost around 35 USD and it sounds similar to ATH AD700. Harx 900 has better sound stage and more boomy base, 700s has a more defined high and mid.

draemn

I use sennheiser and LOVE them. I got an EOL gaming set on sale for$90 (regularly $190) and they are amazing! The way they sound in games is sick and they are pretty comfortable for extended use.

Personally, my suggestion: ditch the mic on the headset and buy a standalone mic (I use a clip on mic).

Slik

I really hate the idea of RMA. I can't be bothered to spend 50% of the retail price on shipping for RMA. Then what happens the 2nd time it needs an RMA?

I will definitely have to look into the sennheisers. I have heard the name mentioned all too often.

The Roccat Kave's defnitely look nice and I have been eyeing up their products for a while. The only thing that turns me off of that is the USB.
In my opinion, the Roccat Kave's are a very good set of 5.1 analog headphones. The USB plug,is for power only. The Kave's plug straight into your sound card. Many here will say 5.1 analog headphones are a gimmick,but I say different. 5.1 analog is a true surround. I have a set of Kave's as well as several other sets of 5.1 analog headphones including my all time best of the best Psyko Carbon. If your budget is in the $100 range,take a close look at the Tritton Hda's and the Kaves. These headphones take a bit of time to "burn in" properly,but once done,they kick ass compared to stereo headphones. A while back,the negatives of 5.1 headphones may have been true. Today however,speaker technology has advanced considerably. I don't care what anybody says,..5.1 analog surround is the ONLY way to go for gamers. Now,we have 7.1 analog in the form of the Asus ROG Phoebus headphones. My wife bought me a set and they are scheduled for delivery today. I will let all here know how 7.1 compares to 5.1. Get a set of 5.1's. You won't be sorry.

DMCdejavu

I own a Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset, around the same price as Kave(cheaper infact) + it's 7.1. Frankly I don't feel like difference between a 2.1 to 7.1 + it has a lot less bass compared to my previous headset but mainly because it is a surround gaming headset.

What I like about it:
  • Solid build quality
  • 50mm drivers
  • Braided USB cable
  • Features/price

What I dislike:
  • The ear cushion used
  • Less bass
  • Heavier than mainstream plastic headsets (Not very against it though since it contributes to the build quality)
  • The LED on the volume controls does NOT turn off when you shut down your com (my Deathadder & G105 does, so I guess it's just the Corsair driver not being very developed)

Dzzope

The Corsair stuff is not 7.1

At best it is Virtual 7.1

And USB sound is not as good as anything mentioned above..

(P.S. I have the HS1, Same thing basically but a lil older.. They are good but don't have the quality that these guys are talking about.)

But they are REALLY comfy (even if a lil heavy)

Slik

If you're a gamer,and you want surround,you gotta go with analog. 5.1 analog is a true surround,and beats USB and digital to crap. The Roccat Kave's have a bass vibration enhancer that will rattle your brains.

trayton

Anyone know how often these good headsets (I guess the analog 5.1's) go onsale etc? What kinda price ranges are we looking at?

Will it still sound good with on board sound or would we need a much better sound card?

Slik

Anyone know how often these good headsets (I guess the analog 5.1's) go onsale etc? What kinda price ranges are we looking at?

Will it still sound good with on board sound or would we need a much better sound card?
The Tritton hDA 5.1's go for $100 or less. The Roccat Kave's are about $120. The Kave's are the better of the two,and well worth the extra $20. If you shop around,I'm sure you will find them at an even better price. On board sound can't do a good set of headphones any justice. A decent 5.1 analog sound card is what you need when plugging in a set of decent headphones. Good sound cards can be had for about $70,and even a bit less. At the end of the day,it's well worth getting something really decent. You won't have to consider an upgrade for a long long time.