What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looking To Upgrade

Scart

My current rig is really starting to slow me down, so soon it may be time for an upgrade. I definitely need a new card as the 3870 i got from my friend ended up being what screwed up my computer all summer and my 1900 xt works well, but the fan makes weird loud noises and its only dx9. But no matter what I buy it will be really limited by my old 4200+. I gotta stick with AM2 cause I'm not buying a new mobo. I also am thinking of picking up a sound card so i don't have to deal with onboard anymore. I am however rather limited by cash, and I may only end up being able to go through with part of this upgrade.

Here's what I was thinknig:

CPU: 6000+ or highest Black Edition (5200+ at 2.6 I think).
My board is a good overclocker so I could get some extra value out of a black edition, but I don't really have the skills or time to truly get my money's worth out of one (first year engineering student and I only have a medium-sized heatsink) so I may just go with a regular one (6000+ at 3.0 was the highest I could find)

GPU: 4850 or a 4870 if I can get a really good deal. Really don't know what
manufacturer to go with.

Sound Card: an ASUS Xonar DX. Cheaper card but very good value.

Infiniti

I might be selling my 4870 soon, still haven't decided, so keep a lookout on the B&S section. :thumb:

Scart

I am the only person on this website you has ever used a amd x2 or what?

sswilson

Staff member
I am the only person on this website you has ever used a amd x2 or what?

I jumped off of the AMD ship when they screwed us over by dropping S939 production and won't go back until they give me a reason to. I suspect many others are either in the same boat, or have been Intel all along.

nige

i am in the middle of upgrading my 939 platform to AM2+. I stayed with AMD because I hear the new AM3 cpu will fit in the AM2+ board i recently bought. The amd cpu's are cheaper than intel. I basically got the same stuff you are looking for. I bought an AMD 5000+ B.E. for $70, a palit 4850 for about $180 after taxes, shipping and m.i.r. and i just got my gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 in the mail yesterday. I will try overclocking the cpu once i get the system running but i know it's going to be a world of difference between my old s939 3000+ and ati 9600XT.

enaberif

i am in the middle of upgrading my 939 platform to AM2+. I stayed with AMD because I hear the new AM3 cpu will fit in the AM2+ board i recently bought. The amd cpu's are cheaper than intel. I basically got the same stuff you are looking for. I bought an AMD 5000+ B.E. for $70, a palit 4850 for about $180 after taxes, shipping and m.i.r. and i just got my gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 in the mail yesterday. I will try overclocking the cpu once i get the system running but i know it's going to be a world of difference between my old s939 3000+ and ati 9600XT.

90% sure AM3 is NOT compatible with AM2 but AM2 is compatible with AM3

Latest posts