What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looping POST issue

Perineum

OK. I have a system that POSTs but then resets only to POST again.

Pulled from the case with just the RAM and processor it will do this. I swapped out other RAM and it still did it. PSU tested fine with typical shitty PSU tester. Tried different PSU with no different result.

RMA'd motherboard. Replacement failed in same way. No CPU to test with to eliminate and system was a bit aged. Today, bought a 1150 motherboard/CPU replacement. Installed it with the original systems hardware/case/hd/ram/psu and now same issue.

WTF. :doh:

I've tried even moving locations to a different power outlet. Different keyboard/mouse. Reset BIOS does nothing. HD plugged in or not plugged in does nothing.

Thoughts?

I'll be here drowning myself in beer wondering why I work on these bastard things.

Cptn Vortex

Whoa that's a weird one. Maybe you have a short in your power switch wiring? Try just jumping the power switch header with a screwdriver with no other front panel wiring attached.

Perineum

Interesting. I'll try that tomorrow.

I have my suspicion of what it is..... I can't prove it and I won't say at this point because I don't want to poison any ideas coming forward.

clshades

Is the power button on your case one of those sensi-buttons? The control board for my cosmos S actually went up in smoke after I painted the chassis and re-installed it. I didn't notice it when I removed the front panel controls but noticed it when I re-installed it. As soon as the power got to it... 3 power ups and the magic blue smoke escaped.

Anyway... the sensi button was always a pain in the ass and would cause a reboot loop if I didn't do a power reset to the whole system. Un-plug computer/ turn the power on off on the board a couple times / re-plug back in and power up. Needless to say the case was replaced with impunity.

Perineum

No, the case is an Antec Sonata case with an actual switch style power switch.

No other ideas yet?

Perineum

Okay, again, completely torn from the case laying on the wood table:

MB/CPU/RAM with my known good test PSU attached. Different USB keyboard and ethernet cord plugged in. (symptoms the same without the keyboard/ethernet attached)

Computer will boot up and immediately go into BIOS. From there I was able to successfully update the BIOS, configure things, save and shut down.

Immediately boots right back up into BIOS. Never deviates.

So I attach a HD. Now it is back to the looping POST issue.

Case definitely isn't the issue. I'm powering it up using a spoon.

Shall I try a different spoon?

ZZLEE

Try Another hard drive.

USB stick, Hard Drive or SSD somthing fresh. Try like LINUX or Hirens boot.

Perineum

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*sob*

It works with a new HD.

SERIOUSLY, I have never seen this before. They'll at least boot up like normal and say missing system drive or something. This is bizarre, and exactly why I posted on here. It was obviously something I was overlooking. Now lets see if the old MB works too.

I guess where it was messing me up is that the UEFI motherboards just go straight to setup screen when no HD is attached whereas older BIOS would just sit at that "please insert bootable drive" prompt.