What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Losing time on i7 system

mHumle

Website
www.cablegeenies.dk
I just built 3 computers for testing purpose. i7 950, 16GB RAM, Asus P7TD Deluxe, Samsung 1TB HDD, Corsair Hydro H70 processercooling + 1 giant + 2 smaller fans in the Antec Performance P193 with Chill Innovation 700W Silent ATX2.3 Modul PWR SUPP. A nice kit in my view :biggrin:

The are now running 16 LabView session 24/7, which is a rather powerful load. Although not more than it can take.

The problem is: It always loses time - about 0.06 secs per minute while it works. It does not seem to lose time at idle. A normal pc and our virtual servers (VMWARE) win/lose maybe 0,01 to -0.01 max.
I know it may sound ridiculous, but our tests are very sensitive to this specific problem.
I have installed "Sync-It with Atom", that can sync with 1 minut intervals using Stratum 1 NTP servers.

This only corrects the error, it doesn't solve the loss in time.

Is there anything in the BIOS or elsewhere that can be adjusted to make the clock straighten up?

Any ideas?

mHumle

Website
www.cablegeenies.dk
Think I fixed it

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I looks like the solution is to (in BIOS) turn of SpeedStep and set Processor mode to Manual speed. Turbomode =OFF.
Also do not use the ASUS Software for controlling the Processor. As soon as this software is started, the time slips with 0.06 seconds per minut. Otherwise the time is perfect.
I used Sync it with Atom :punk:for this test, because it could test accurately with Stratum 1 NTP and further it has a great log function. I used a setting with 1 minute intervals, for quick results.

There is nothing wrong in having this ASUS facilty for speeding up /Overclocking, but they (ASUS) should take care of the clock while it is done.

Mike

ZZLEE

Ubutu linux doesint seem to come with a time sinking program.
You have to use somethig LINUX tool of some sort.
I been playing with Ubutu thanks to "danx "

In windows in the clock progam you can sink with windows server.

ZZLEE

Ubutu did not chose to use it in there distro. I will have to look it up. thanks.

mHumle

Website
www.cablegeenies.dk
:rofl: Yeah, well actually the 3 PCs are on wheels, so maybe..... Hmmmm, those blowers on the side of the Antec tower ARE pretty big....

Twitter