What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

LOTRO mmo to go free to play

Stock

VIP = paid subscription technically, but he snagged an awesome deal for $5! I wish I saw it before the price jumped to $20.

and oh, I'm a lvl 20 hunter on Riddermark. So far enjoying the game, but the free quests have almost come to an end :sad:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Did you drop any coin, or are you sticking with the free play?

I picked up a 1 month VIP for $5 on a Direct2drive sale last week, so I've got the 2000 Turbine Points and 30 days VIP access to see how I like it. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

sswilson

Staff member
So you can purchase certain things (like a mount) which will still be around if you let your one month of sub play expire and drop down to the free play?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
That's the way I understand it. TBH, I'd try the free-to-play if you haven't already and see if you like the gameplay.

JayDeeHobbit

Forgive the double post, but I've made a terrible mistake. I have avoided MMORPG games until now, but I'm now spending all my gaming time in Middle Earth. I hadn't even signed onto Steam for 3 days, until tonight.

Be forewarned. LOTRO may be addictive.:biggrin:

Haha... I like it as well.
I'm a long time Tolkien phreak though so it kinda fits :biggrin:

I'm on the Riddermark server which is brand new with the F2P launch so everyone is from level 1 to around 35 (level 65 is the current game maximum) with a high population percentage of newbies.
We had some old timers (of the RP server) set up an "event" last night that I participated in. About 50 people got together for a ride across middle earth. Was fun and a nice way to welcome the newbies.
The Ride to Ruin: To Weathertop!!

JayDeeHobbit

I was hoping someone who has a LOTRO account could post the text below in the forums there. (in the thread I link below)
I can't log in there so I can't do it myself (as the text I want to post explains)
If someone does post this for me could you post again here to say you did to avoid multiple posts there.

GTC and Product Key Issues with Resubscription

After the launch I setup a F2P account.
On Friday I purchased a SoA key with 30 days play time and updated my F2P account with the product key. My account remains as F2P. Perhaps the same issue as many who have posted in this thread

But... now I also can't log onto the forums (to log this error for one). If I put in my password I get an "HTTP 500" error if I try to enter/view the forums. I get this consistantly. I ran CCleaner and did a reboot and it would let me view the forums again but as soon as I try to log in it gives the same error again. This process is repeatable. This error only started to happen after I added the product key to upgrade my account from F2P to VIP status.

My account name is "jaydeehobbit". Because I can't enter the forums to post this myself I'm getting someone else to post this error for me.

ultraman7k

alright JayDee, posted it in the link you gave me. i'll check back periodically and post the update here.

on a side note, I started subscribing on Thursday. Oh man, so awesome. I used to play WoW but this is so much more enjoyable. It has a certain..."je ne sais quois" to it. Maybe I just like the lore/world better?

What I did was I bought a SoA+MoM pack on ebay.COM. for $10. There was a guy selling, from his store, just the cd-key for the package (he had several). So within 30 minutes of paying, I got it and applied the code, and boom upgraded. I also had the option to move from $14.99/mo to $29.99/3 mo after applying the MoM code, which I did of course, because that's like, $10/mo or 1 month free!

I love this game. It consumes all my time!

JayDeeHobbit

Thank you untraman7k :biggrin:

10 bucks is a good deal. I paid $10 for just the SoA key. I also bought a 60 day time card for $20. I figure I'll buy the MoM expansion from the store with turbine points when I reach level 50 so it won't cost any more. (if I have enough TP points that is)

I am also really getting into it = I just discovered "Skirmishes" tonight and they seem like a hoot as well :biggrin:

And I also seem to be sinking waaaay too much time into this :doh:

Edit: I'll have to see if the post gets a response as I've read on the forums that customer service is just dreadful after the launch of F2P. Understandable as it was a huge change for them (F2P + new game play content + forum redesign) and they have a tn of issues/bugs to work out.

JayDeeHobbit

alright JayDee, posted it in the link you gave me. i'll check back periodically and post the update here.
Just wanted to say thanks again ultraman7k.

I just went into account management again and it seems that there might possibly have been a PEBKAC error although I'm not ruling out that I might have been under the influence of the evil voice of Saruman :doh:

I got my account to update and I'm now VIP = woot.
I still can't log into the forms to make a post but I can live with that one :thumb:

ultraman7k

Just wanted to say thanks again ultraman7k.

I just went into account management again and it seems that there might possibly have been a PEBKAC error although I'm not ruling out that I might have been under the influence of the evil voice of Saruman :doh:

I got my account to update and I'm now VIP = woot.
I still can't log into the forms to make a post but I can live with that one :thumb:

hey no problem at all, anything to fuel the LotRo addiction right? Glad it all worked out.

Latest posts